Sony VAIO latest models...

MsGardener7

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Hello everyone!

Sony has recently marketted a few new notebooks. I'm including the details below:

Link 1: http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpcea36fg/sku/vpcea36fg_b+e1

Link 2: http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb36fg/sku/vpceb36fg_b+e1

Link 3: http://www.sony.co.in/product/vpceb16fg/sku/vpceb16fg_b+e1

Please review these three notebooks along with their features and prices and suggest me which one would be the best to buy... Since my old VAIO (almost 3 years old) is now giving too much problem, I guess it's time now to go for a new one.

Anyway, I'm gonna use the notebook for typing my lengthy research reports in MS Word, Excel etc; Watching movies, listening to music, some sort of photo editing and some casual gaming too.

I have one doubt... Some folks told me that Full HD (1920*1080) displays aren't very good for office works (typing and all). Is that really true? And If I go for 2.4 GHz Core i3 or 2.4 GHz Core i5 (Turbo upto 2.93 GHz) - will it make any huge difference to my everyday computing as I mentioned above?

A big thanks to all in advance...
Awaiting comments...

G

Just one question -- if you've had too much in the way of problems with a 3 year old Vaio (I'm using 5 and 8 year old Dell laptops) why on earth would you buy Sony again ?

Stryyder

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
I have heard good things about the E series laptops

You reall don't need full HD and I prefer not to have it if I intend to do any work work on a laptop the 16:9 display ratio these laptops have moved to already make it difficult enough but I would really suggest getting in front of any full HD laptop of the same size and seeing how you feel. This is a pretty subjective thing.

MsGardener7

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Okay... But I need some really good suggestions regarding the 3 models (I've already included the links in the original post). Please compare these models and tell me if it were you, which one would you go for...?

I'm otherwise thinking to go for a 15 inch Macbook Pro... A bit confused though...!!!

JoBlo

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I recently bought a Vaio Z series VPCZ138GG with full HD 1920x1080 screen and I had the same concerns as you but they turned out to be unfounded. Sure the text size was initially small but that is easily addressed by increasing text size in the Control Panel Nvidia display settings; or just use the magnifier slider in MSWord and IE8. One tip: I now use mine at home with a Samsung B2440 24 inch flat panel HD monitor. The native resolution of the Nvidia graphics in the Vaio match perfectly with the native res of the monitor to give you pin-sharp resolution, but you must use the HDMI output. I did have to buy a DVI to HDMI adaptor in my case because the monitor did not have a HDMI output. Hope this allays your initial fears...

MsGardener7

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010

Thanks Stryyder... But could you please tell me what will be the actual difference between a core i5 and a core i3 processor that are running at the same clock speed (Both @ 2.4 GHz). I'm aware that the core i5 will have turbo boost (up to 2.93 GHz), but I heard that it's not very important, 'coz the i3 processor has Hyper-threading feature...

And will a 1377*768 display be as good as a 1920*1080 display? My handycam can take full HD videos... They doesn't look great on my current smaller resolution display (1200*800)... Awaiting reply... Thanks in advance...

MsGardener7

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
Could anyone please tell me what will be the actual difference between a core i5 and a core i3 processor that are running at the same clock speed (Both @ 2.4 GHz). I'm aware that the core i5 will have turbo boost (up to 2.93 GHz), but I heard that it's not very important, 'coz the core i3 processor has Hyper-threading feature...

And will a 1377*768 display be as good as a 1920*1080 display? My Sony handycam can take full HD videos (1920*1080)... I feel they DON'T look great on my current smaller resolution display (1200*800)... Awaiting reply... Thanks in advance...