Solved! Splitting a digital jack

Dec 4, 2018
I have an Acer Aspire E15 laptop with a combo jack and an internal microphone. When I plug in a 3.5 mm microphone, I get the popup asking what device was plugged in. I select the microphone option, and everything is working correctly. However, if during the recording the mic comes unplugged, the computer rolls over to the internal laptop mic, which I do not want.

In both the device manager and sounds menu, all audio in is recognized as a single realtek high definition digital jack, and I cannot disable one device without disabling the other.

Is there a way to disable the internal microphone or split the audio device into two separate devices in the sound manager?

Solution
You could disable the internal Mic by right clicking it and selecting Disable. Open Sound, select the Recording tab and the Microphone should be listed.

The combo headphone / microphone jack is a 4 section plug, so you could get a combo jack "Y" adapter, from Amazon.
It should be like >>this one<<.

jojesa

Distinguished
You could disable the internal Mic by right clicking it and selecting Disable. Open Sound, select the Recording tab and the Microphone should be listed.

The combo headphone / microphone jack is a 4 section plug, so you could get a combo jack "Y" adapter, from Amazon.
It should be like >>this one<<.

Solution
Dec 4, 2018

In the Device manager, the only audio inputs listed are just a single Microphone (Realtek High Definition Audio). When I disable this device, both the internal mic and combo jack are disabled. Am I missing another option?