Question SSD upgrade, Laptop boots to BIOS when plugged in, will boot properly to windows if unplugged

cck

Feb 28, 2022
Asus ROG G750JX (old girl), recently installed a new SSD (samsung 870EVO), issue has started since the install, have kept 1 of the original hard drives as extra space and using the SSD for window and all major programs, performed a full wipe of system and fresh load of windows 10 on SSD.

Laptop will boot to BIOS and not see the SSD if plugged in, can unplug and start unit right away with no issues, laptop works great and really fast now other then the start up with plugged in, properly boot priority it set to SSD, when unit boots with out plug in. Also noticed after shut off laptop seems to kill the battery now (next start battery is low), battery was replace about a year ago. With both my old harddrive in laptop does not have this issue (just painfully slow...)

Looks like there are tons of these forms but but no solution for this one, no external connections on laptop, Bios is at highest rev 210, have downloaded Samsung magician and update SSD, have attempted changing the location of SSD compared to the hard drive, attempted to clear cache's, disabled fast boot, turned off secureboot, windows start up repair finds nothing, tried the disconnect with 30 second power hold, gone through power settings and don't see anything off, even tried a second reset today, still no change, really loosing hope for this. Any ideas would be appreciated.

mr_random

Great
Feb 28, 2022
are the hard drives the same height and thickness? one of my ssd drives is super thin and would come lose in one of my laptops. what happens if you don't ground the hard drive just turn on the machine

cck

Feb 28, 2022
are the hard drives the same height and thickness? one of my ssd drives is super thin and would come lose in one of my laptops. what happens if you don't ground the hard drive just turn on the machine
Different thicknesses but I shimmed it up to support it in place. I thought that might be the issue install. But no change after the supports.