Storage Issues! Need Help!

Harrison F

Estimable
Dec 11, 2014
i have a 2012 13' 128gb Macbook Air. I haven't had any issues until now. I'm running out of storage very fast and I don't know why. I have 12.27 gb in Movies, 9.54gb in audio, 8.11gb in apps, 4.85gb in photos, and 8mb in backups(which is all pretty normal). But then I have 57.29gb taken up by 'Other'. Me and my on friend went through and deleted anything and everything that could be taking up space. and it only went down about 2gb. My friend says I should reset my computer bc it is a living virus. Is that true? I don't want to loose my files and don't want to set everything up again but I will if i have to. If i do reset what can I put my files on?or is there some way to get around it? also what type of files are put into 'Other'? if someone could help me it would make my life so much easier.

Thanks in advance,
Harrison

Solution
You have a 128GB SSD, that is not sufficient for storing movies. Try emptying the recycle bin to clear up any files you have already deleted, and get an external drive for your movies and pictures. Laptops of any kind whether it's PC or Mac are more likely to fail so you should have one anyway.

My recommendation: Back up your Photos and important documents to an external hard drive, most Western Digital and Seagates are compatible with Mac but you may have to configure them before you can use it. Once your non-replaceable files are backed up do wipe (or reset as you call it) and start from scratch.

Xibyth

Estimable
Mar 22, 2014
You have a 128GB SSD, that is not sufficient for storing movies. Try emptying the recycle bin to clear up any files you have already deleted, and get an external drive for your movies and pictures. Laptops of any kind whether it's PC or Mac are more likely to fail so you should have one anyway.

My recommendation: Back up your Photos and important documents to an external hard drive, most Western Digital and Seagates are compatible with Mac but you may have to configure them before you can use it. Once your non-replaceable files are backed up do wipe (or reset as you call it) and start from scratch.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS