Subwoofer trouble help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Okay, So i'm using a kenwood subwoofer 8 inch.. And I got a new subwoofer 10 inch kicker, But it has a slit in it and it makes this popping sound and farting sound when the cone is moving back and forth. So anyways I am having the same problem on my kenwood subwoofer when I bring the volume to high, And I have a vr-715 Receiver, So pretty much both subwoofer at a certain level start to make a farting sound effect, But the new one that I got that has the slit makes popping sound and farting sound effect because I think it's because of the puncture in the cone, But I don't know.. The new one does run at more watts and it does make that farting sound effect and popping much louder then the kenwood one. I'm trying to solve my problem with what's going on, I don't want to buy another receiver, So would you think that farting sound effect would be because I don't have enough power running to both of my subwoofers, of course I'm only using one at a time. Would your subwoofer create farting sound effects if you don't have enough wattage running to it, if so I was thinking of buying this with the receiver to give me like 150 watts more or something like that.

https://www.startech.com/Server-Management/KVM-Switches/12V-DC-15A-Universal-Power-Adapter~IM12D1500P

If anything is confusing I will put in more detail, I'm kind of all over the place but I seriously don't know what's going on :(

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Well the subwoofer is not like a powered one i guess.. I mean its being powered by the receiver. In fact the kenwood subwoofer goes with the receiver when i bought it, so i dont understand why it makes that farting/flapping sound. Anyways i thought maybe why the new one I have is making a popping sound is because it dont have enough power and it wont make that popping sound very very very low.. But you cant even hear it then. Also would it help with the older subwoofer to have more if power if so it could help a little bit with then new one and I can patch up the slit in the cone.

The made-for-a-car kicker sub you have is not going to work well for your home theater application as they are not designed for the larger open area's of a living room as well as not having its own built in amp (and not having the better LFE connection for audio input)

Bottom line is that you will likely not get much of any improvement trying to power a larger sub with a high-side (speaker wire) connection from your amp.
What you really need is a powered sub designed for home theater, and then you can use your receivers LFE (looks like RCA) plug for subwoofer.
The BiC F12 is hands down the best bang-for-buck sub out there and runs for around $200. If that is too steep then I would look at a 10" $100 Polk model.

As to why your kenwood quipped sub sounds so bad, I am not sure, but using an active sub with its own amp should bypass the problem all together.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Should I take pictures or something, Because the subwoofer doesnt use lfe.. It uses speaker wire, just like my kenwood subwoofer.. Im not looking to buy a new subwoofer since i already have two good ones, and even if its for car audio i would have to buy the stuff for it to run and it would still have the popping sound effect. This kicker subwoofer is a home theater type of one really because of the red and black ports on the back.. Do you thin the farting/popping sound is not having good speaker wire? I think its 12 gauge or maybe i should get a new receiver or go about using 120v 60 hz cord for my reciever to give more power..

Really sounds like the speaker is BLOWN!

Line out signal from receiver > powered sub woofer.
The level from the receiver is too HOT.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Ok, I super glued the hole in the cone on my new subwoofer, And it didn't make a difference until I holded up my subwoofer in my hand and played a song and the subwoofer sounded normal.. Now I think what's going on is when the subwoofer is inside the box all the air is only coming through the subwoofer and it makes it sound like crap, So I think I will make a hole in the back of the box so it can have air to escape. Now the next thing is my receiver keeps going into protection mode when I use my new subwoofer because it doesn't not have enough power, So should I get a new receiver or try that thing I wanted to buy that gives it more power?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
That thing you wanted is a 12V 1.5A DC power supply, by all means you can connect it to your Sub, but it'll just move the cone forward and leave it there. Probably burning something out in the process.

You need a powered sub that runs from the line out on the amp, that way the sub is doing the work of the amp, and is correctly sized.

You currently have a broken speaker cone. replace the speaker. Randomly drilling holes in the case will not help much, the case is an interral part of the speaker, it's also probably 'ported' already.

spray2000

Estimable
Dec 2, 2015
Ok, I'm very grateful for all the answers you guys gave me. I just need help with one more thing, I'm thinking of getting a new box for my subwoofer, Since the one I have now has holes every where that is leaking air and it's making farting sounds, But the thing is since I want to get this certain one that has a customed hole on the side of the box, Would it still make the farting sound? It's this box I'm wanting to get:

http://www.halfpricecaraudio.com/Single-10-Vented-Subwoofer-Box-Enclosure-Gray.htm?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=GoogleBaseFeed&gclid=Cj0KEQjwzq63BRCrtIuGjImRoIIBEiQAGLHdYemnR76nzMexC01I2gcTuPEQYiBUH57et9VLbuUhd2caAnF18P8HAQ

And

What do you mean that it would mess up my speakers if I got more power wouldn't that help with my new one since it uses more power?

13thmonkey

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
I'm this close to thinking that you are trolling.

You cannot just add a 12v dc power supply and expect it to give something 'more power'. That supply will send +12v only, an amplifier will send a signal between +5v and -5v depending on what sounds you want it to make, if you want a 50hz hum then you send +5v to -5v 50 times a second and so on.

If you are going to spend any money then spend it on a powered sub if you have line out from the amp.

I am now leaving this thread as to be honest you don't seem to listen to any answers (this is the third time I've said you can't just but a power supply and I told you not to drill holes), I'm going to ask another mod to close it so that this is done independently.

Status
Not open for further replies.