Solved! Suitable A/C Adapter replacement for Toshiba Satellite Laptops?

raptormoonx

Estimable
May 19, 2014
I own a Toshiba Satellite s55-a5375 laptop and my parents own a Toshiba Satellite s55-a5377 laptop. Recently the a/c adapters that came with the laptops haven't been keeping the laptops charged. My dad and I checked connections and cleaned whatever parts we could. What is a suitable replace adapter; preferably something smaller as the original ones are heavy and, for a physically disabled user like myself, can be hard to transport? I've attached shots of the adapter that came with my computer and a smaller one we had for my parent's old HP laptop (for size comparison and specs). Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Toshiba Adapter:
Scan0018.jpg

OEM Adapter (smaller):
Scan0019.jpg

Solution
The first adapter is 0.5v higher and has about 3 Amps more current, it is a 120w adapter
Second adapter is a mere 65 watts.

I would personally think that it is the batteries dieing / not taking charge and not the adapters. This can happen as batteries age.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
The first adapter is 0.5v higher and has about 3 Amps more current, it is a 120w adapter
Second adapter is a mere 65 watts.

I would personally think that it is the batteries dieing / not taking charge and not the adapters. This can happen as batteries age.

Solution

raptormoonx

Estimable
May 19, 2014
I do know my parent's battery needs to be replaced. That will be done after tax season. The closest authorized Toshiba service center is 45 minutes away. :( Took my laptop in to my local computer store to have them check the battery. They told me it's fine. A question about adapters. If the wattage for an adapter is lower than the one that came with the laptop, is that a bad thing? Will something happen to the laptop or battery? Thanks! :)