Surround Sound Headphone for Gaming

Mastergrief NPR

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
In about half a year i will be going to college. Normally at home I play my games on a 5.1 surround sound system from Sony. I love my system but it will be impractical in a college dorm. Thus I have been looking for a 5.1 (preferably 7.1) headset but I don't know what to get. I do have a Turtle Beach X12 headset but when I use them I miss the quality of the speaker system and the surround sound. Also I am using an old Rocketfish 5.1 sound card (I dont know the model but it is about 3 - 5 years old) to run my system. My motherboard is an Asus M5A97 LE R2.0. It claims to have 7.1 channel surround sound, I am weary of integrated audio. I don't know if a sound card matters for a surround sound headphones. Also I don't want to break the bank. Lastly I found an Asus Strix DSP headset, and I was impressed but I can't find them in America.

Solution
you will not find surround sound headphones as they are all stereo. you will find surround sound headsets though.

do realize that most so called surround sound headsets still are stereo but have an integrated soundcard which creates a virtual surround sound to fake it. only some (the ones with many drivers) are true surround.

since you seem to want "quality" i would suggest investing in a decent pair of headphones. for most users the sennheiser hd558 or hd598 are a good choice. if you get a soundcard (internal or external.. but internal preferred) which has cmss3d, SBX (on creative cards) or dolby headphone (on asus cards) you will be able to get the same type of virtual surround that you will find in most headphones.
you will not find surround sound headphones as they are all stereo. you will find surround sound headsets though.

do realize that most so called surround sound headsets still are stereo but have an integrated soundcard which creates a virtual surround sound to fake it. only some (the ones with many drivers) are true surround.

since you seem to want "quality" i would suggest investing in a decent pair of headphones. for most users the sennheiser hd558 or hd598 are a good choice. if you get a soundcard (internal or external.. but internal preferred) which has cmss3d, SBX (on creative cards) or dolby headphone (on asus cards) you will be able to get the same type of virtual surround that you will find in most headphones.

Solution

Mastergrief NPR

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015

Sorry, I meant headset. I have changed it in the original post.