Switchable graphic card won't allow me to boot windows

Hejnas

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014
Hi,

I am very new to this forum, althout few times in past I successfully found a solutions to my issues here. This time after many frustrating hours I couldn't find issue i got couple days ago anywhere.

It happened during playing a game, computer froze and nothing was going so I was forced to hard shutdown my laptop and start it again. This time unfortunately didn't start, or didn't get past Windows logo loading screen. I assumed something happened to the graphic card and after few hours I disabled it in BIOS and installed only drivers for integrated graphic card on motherboard (Intel HD 3000), which works. Although when both cards are active (i.e. not disabled in BIOS), windows will not start. So now I can't figured out, what is going on or how to make it working again.

My specs: HP ProBook 4530s
cpu: Intel Core i3-2330M
ram: 4 GB
graphics cards: ATI Radeon 6490M / Intel HD 3000

Do you think it might be corrupted driver problem or something has really happened to graphic card itself?

Thank you

popatim

Splendid
you can try disabling the ATi and removing the drivers from windows. download the current drivers and then reboot to re-enable the ati and see it it gets into windows. If it makes it in then you can try installing those latest drivers you already downloaded.

Hejnas

Estimable
Nov 22, 2014

Hi, I have found the core issue after all. Because of its age, dedicated graphic card's BGA-circuit was melted - at least some pins. They are able to solder it together in some stores or order new graphic chip again, but it was too pricy for me so I let it be and continue using only on-board Intel graphic chip. It is probably your problem then as well. Try to find a program to diagnostic health of your card, if it doesnt even find it, then it is unfortunately gone.

JVavruska

Estimable
Aug 27, 2015

Thanks for the advanced diagnostics. At least I know this problem won't go away by replacing software components. I must say I had seen two HP4530s and both are deeply disappointing. I can't accept that a company with such record would allow such poor quality of the hardware.