Symantec Ghost 8.3

Africa_PC

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Hi,

I would like to create a boot disk that will boot into Symantec Ghost 8.3 which is DOS based and then install an image that I have created onto the hard drive of that machine.

I can create the boot disk with the wizard but I am unable to browse my NAS device which contains the image file.

Solution
I made a disk(cd) a few years ago that did the same thing from a network drive. I used a Universal Network Boot Disk and modified it to map to the image share, and start ghost(on the cd). The tech just had to boot to the cd, and once Ghost started all they had to do was choose the image from the mapped (X:) drive. It worked really well. We only stopped using it when we started putting images on a USB drive that made the process much faster.
I did this about 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm sure it will work today as long as the Universal Network Boot Disk has the right drivers and can detect the nic card.

Africa_PC

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
I have a boot disk that can do this already however it will not work on newer machines because the boot CD does not contain the network drivers for the newer machines that I am trying to ghost.

I did not create the first disk which is why I don't know how to do this.

ss202sl

Honorable
I made a disk(cd) a few years ago that did the same thing from a network drive. I used a Universal Network Boot Disk and modified it to map to the image share, and start ghost(on the cd). The tech just had to boot to the cd, and once Ghost started all they had to do was choose the image from the mapped (X:) drive. It worked really well. We only stopped using it when we started putting images on a USB drive that made the process much faster.
I did this about 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm sure it will work today as long as the Universal Network Boot Disk has the right drivers and can detect the nic card.

Solution
It was a long time ago I have created boot CDs. Check your "old" Ghost installation - there's good chance it uses "standard" LanManager drivers. This is what you would need to master on new boards, to incorporate new LanManager drivers onto your existing boot CD.

Africa_PC

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013

This is the correct way to do it however people have stopped making universal network boot disks which means that I had to add the drivers to the image of the old boot disk.

I worded it wrong previously. The key phrase in your solution is, "as long as the Universal Network Boot Disk has the right drivers and can detect the nic card" which renders them useless to new machines. However I did manage to add the drivers to my old disk so I eventually figured it out.