Thunderbolt Dock for Dell Precision 5510

igendreau

Estimable
Dec 7, 2014
Work for a furniture company. Been offered the chance to have a triple monitor arm installed at my desk as a demo we can show customers walking through our showroom.

I have a Dell Precision 5510 laptop with one HDMI out, one USB available, and a thunderbolt out port. Question is can I extend my desktop to 3 external monitors? From the looks of it, using a thunderbolt dock like this is my best shot (http://www.dell.com/support/Article/us/en/4/SLN301105). So 2 questions:

1. Can I actually extend to 3 monitors using the dock above?
2. Does anyone have any recommendations for a better thunderbolt dock, with the #1 criteria being additional monitor support? Or have a better/cheaper solution for getting my laptop to extend to 3 monitors (ideally with laptop screen as #4)?

Solution
while it could be done, I wouldnt reccommend it. That laptop would struggle to run multiple displays, even though the dock supports them. I would suggest getting a small form factor desktop, or even 3 cheap android TV boxes (nexus player is pretty capable and ive seen them as cheap as $25)

mrgooglegeek

Commendable
Jan 25, 2017
while it could be done, I wouldnt reccommend it. That laptop would struggle to run multiple displays, even though the dock supports them. I would suggest getting a small form factor desktop, or even 3 cheap android TV boxes (nexus player is pretty capable and ive seen them as cheap as $25)

Solution

BungleMac

Prominent
Feb 15, 2017

My 5510 has a Quadro M1000M w/2GB GDDR5

Why would that be not sufficient to run multiple displays?