fcp4life

Honorable
Apr 23, 2012
I built my rig a few years back I have an I5 - 2500 (not K) @ 3.3Ghz. The motherboard is an EVGA z68 SLI Micro Motherboard ( LGA 1155 SOCKET), 8gb DDR3, and a GeForce GT 430 w/ a 750W power-supply

- I already know my GPU needs an upgrade and my RAM as well... I was just seeing if anyone had some suggestions on which GPU? and if upgrading to an I7 3770 would be worth it as well? or is it better to just start from scratch now with a whole new motherboard?

Solution
I had no problems running Oculus on a 3570k so a 3770k would be good. You want a gtx 1060 minimum as well, a 1070 or better ideally.

Having said that, ideally you should get a new platform as you are sinking money into a dead platform.

And 16gb ram too.

aquielisunari

Distinguished

Scratch. You would just build a roadblock with your the 27 or 37** nor do I see them making a significant change which is moot anyways because I wouldn't go that route. If you can pick one up for maybe $100 it MIGHT be worth it but I'd invest that into the new rig.

J_E_D_70

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012
I had no problems running Oculus on a 3570k so a 3770k would be good. You want a gtx 1060 minimum as well, a 1070 or better ideally.

Having said that, ideally you should get a new platform as you are sinking money into a dead platform.

And 16gb ram too.

Solution
agree, scratch.
Unless you can get an i7-3770K (not just i7-3770) for dirt cheap like $100USD or less it's not worth it.

You already need to find a used CPU for reasonable price, add 8GB DDR3 at some point and of course the graphics card will cost a lot as will the VR unit so I'm not sure how much you are saving.

*I would wait until you have the budget then invest in at least a SIX CORE CPU setup such as the R5-2600...

There are additional benefits to having a modern motherboard too such as modern caching options like Optane for Intel or the Hybrid option for AMD (X470 right now) using STOREMI.

We haven't even discussed the SECURITY issues caused by future Spectre/Meltdown problems (some of which may need newer CPU's).

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cRzgP3

I made a partial EXAMPLE build to point out some stuff:

a) 6-core modern CPU (R5-2600) is good choice to future proof (or 8-core but all depends on total budget)
b) AMD X470 offers STOREMI (by default up to 256GB SSD plus HDD as single drive)

d) I showed a fast M.2 256GB SSD and 4TB HDD which would make an awesome STOREMI hybrid combo

Those two drives work together so you can everything on the HDD (like games) then it automatically moves stuff over to the SSD portion based on frequency of access.

Not saying this is the best or only option but I thought you may be interested.

(lots of other issues with older hardware such as AUDIO quality, longevity, fan support if only 3-pin etc)