Toshiba CHROMEBOOK CB30-B won't run without power cord

TimHarrold12

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
Folks:

My Chromebook won't turn on unless power is supplied via the a/c adapter. When it is booted, on and plugged the charger icon shows 100%. If you pull the chord, it powers off instantly. I am capable of replacing the battery myself, but would like to know if anyone else has had this issue and if a new battery solved it. The chromebook only cost $280; would hate to spend $100 bucks on a replacement if that won't address the issue.

Thx.

Solution
That is pretty common when a battery is no longer holding a charge, so replacing the battery would be the right choice.

However, if the laptop is new or still under warranty, then I would try contacting the manufacturer first about a repair or replacement rather than purchasing it yourself. Why spend the $ if you don't have to. Obviously that is only if it is under warranty. :)
That is pretty common when a battery is no longer holding a charge, so replacing the battery would be the right choice.

However, if the laptop is new or still under warranty, then I would try contacting the manufacturer first about a repair or replacement rather than purchasing it yourself. Why spend the $ if you don't have to. Obviously that is only if it is under warranty. :)

Solution

Dominick_6

Prominent
Apr 11, 2017
I have a Toshiba Chromebook 2 - 2015 Edition purchased in January of 2016. I'm experiencing the exact same thing as of yesterday. No solution but feel your pain. Battery should last longer than this...

CCB3

Prominent
Apr 18, 2017
I have a Chromebook 2 CB35 with the same problem as of today. I'm thinking it has something to do with the recent update. This is too bizarre. I have taken very good care of my battery. This is too odd to be hardware. The recent update probably had some code embedded that would do this to an unspecified number of Chromebooks so we would have to go buy more. I use mine religiously, as they can probably tell, and have destroyed our outdated ones so we have to make a new purchase. It's criminal.

Either that, or Mercury retrograde.......

TimHarrold12

Prominent
Apr 1, 2017
New replacement battery arrived today. Just finished putting it in and BAMB! Problem fixed. Chromebook now runs off of battery. Too bad Toshiba can't ship their laptops with a battery that lasts at least 1.3 years.

zabich

Prominent
Aug 24, 2017
I have the same problem. But I checked the battery health and it shows still in good condition.

Have you checked the battery health before doing the replacement? I wonder if the battery health check gives me wrong info and I should try a new battery, or I have a different problem.

nialquin

Prominent
Nov 29, 2017

That sounds like promising for me. I also have the same issue with the cb30. I can source a genuine battery for the toshiba chromebook 13 (2015) which is cb35. My question is will the 2015 battery work okay in my original toshiba chromebook 13?

thank in advance