Toshiba to Release Uber DVD Player to Fight Blu-ray

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

pretty cool actually this more likely to take off then blue ray just because blue ray costs so much more and so many people already have dvds

G

This is really very good news for pleople like me that have a bunch of DVD movies. to hell whith BD I'm not going to spend another fortune on their hardware and their $40 titles.

dogman-x

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
The best thing would be to have movie titles with BD on one side and DVD on the other. This was already happening with HD-DVD titles. Before the format war ended, Sony said they could also do BD/DVD combo discs, but I haven't heard anything about it since then.

Has anyone heard anything about this?

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Concearning the Dual disc format:I doubt it will happen with Blu Ray on a Large scale because Sony owns the Blu ray format and Toshiba the DVD format so the movie studios would have to pay royalties to Sony and Toshiba for 1 BD. The reason it happened with Toshiba's HDDVD is they owned both formats HDDVD and DVD and were trying to promote HDDVD so I doubt there was an extra charge to the studios. Don't get me wrong I would be in favor of a Dual disc but just don't see it happening in the near future$$.

Neog2

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2007
Toshiba could care less either way. Sure they lost a ton of money
But they also onlike 51% of Samsung Drive Divison. They new from
the beginning that blu-ray would probably win considering they
new everything there was to know about it from Samsung a major
blu-ray (partner.)

DVD still reigns king, and Toshiba is still making a killing off
of each dvd sold, and this actually will help a ton.
Considering that one of the main reasons to go Blu-Ray besides the resolution is the actual Disc Content, all the special menus and
stuff. Well that pretty much was a flop almost nobody cares
about special features, let alone cool see through interactive
menu's. Lol sony and panasonic, and samsung should have known
that its only a small market of people who actually care about those
things.

1600P 2560x1600 tv's will be coming shortly, and all this 1080p True
HD crap is going to piss alot of people off when they realize
that 1080p is only temporary, and people all ready have monitors
on the market that can do 4 times the resolution of 1080p

Actually Westinghouse has had monitors over 1080p for atleast 2 years now, but they are only used for specific things, like
topography, and very high resolution 3D images.

Just wait till people realize that there is more HD resolutions out
there.

Luscious

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2006
I've just invested in three 400-disc Sony DVD changers ($280 each) so that I can get instant access to my 1000+ movie collection. I won't be throwing those out any time soon, and if I ever upgrade it will be for a 400-disc BD changer, once they come out.

I'm not an early adopter but there's only a certain limit to where you can push regular DVD. I'm happy that the DVD changers I have let me access my entire collection, give me progressive scan, HDMI 1.3 and upconvert to 1080i/720p. I paid half the price of a 4TB HTPC, and I don't have to deal with hard drives, disc ripping or Windows.

G

Wow, it's hard to believe this is a technology forum with all these bizarre and inaccurate statements. Has anyone here actually seen a BD movie? Some of these statements are the equivalent of longing for the days of directx 7! Time to get off your borrowed computers and head back to your caves.

G

Well, this is not the fabled Super Upconversion player, you will have to wait until next year for the Super Upconverting(960p native) + XDE post-processing DVD player.

In the mean time, you can be the first one to experience Toshiba's Super Upconversion(960p native via computational fusion of 9 SD frames) if you have $3000 to afford their high-end REGZA Super Upconverting HDTV sets launching this fall.

G

Garbage. Some of you people are on something. You can upconvert all you want, it's still not going to be the real deal and for anyone that says you can't really tell a diff between Blu-Ray and Upconvert is either blind, doesn't own a HD TV that supports 1080p or is stupid.

G

Upconverting WORKS !!!! It is just that the upscalers have been very very very, expensive. A good upscaler would have set you back around US$5000.00. Most people only know the cheap upscalers, a really good upscaler work fantastic. Question is, will the Toshiba upscaling DVD player work as well as my external unit ? Do you know what SDI is, if not, then you are not really qualified to comment here !!!

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well good upscaler is better than bad... ok with that, but you can not add information that is not in there, so real HD is always better alternative. But for those who has a lot of DVD's this can be reasonable alternative as an second player with Blue ray...

G

this isn't meant to complete against blu-ray, the headline is slightly sensationalistic. from a different interview:

Louis Masses, director of product planning for the audio and video group at Toshiba America Consumer Products, was careful to stress that it's not meant to compete with or replace Blu-ray. ?If you want Blu-ray, go get Blu-ray. This product is meant to improve playback of DVDs," Masses said.

antilycus

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2006
blu-ray crock of BS. I bought into HD-DVD because i dont believe in what blu-ray wants ( to completely control the content of what they are selling, at a higher profit margin, and make it un-copyable ). My HD-DVD movies still look fantastic but my 100+ dvd's sure could use an upgrade, but the problem lies with MOST PEOPLE ALREADY HAVE A DVD PLAYER. I wont go rushing out for this with my 360 dvd player + HD-DVD player already in my living room.

invlem

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2008
Considering my HDTV was purchased just before that dammed HDCP protection was introduced, I'll buy one of these players.

The last thing I need is to buy a Blu-ray player then have it down convert my resolution because my TV isn't HDCP compliant. Oh, its a Sony HDTV too, that's what you get for being an early adopter.

G

Home Theater Magazine just reviewed this Toshiba player and basically said that it was comparible to most other upconverting players at the $150 price point, and it made no sense at all with Blu-ray players now avaialble from $230.00.

Still, we get the idiots who say "$40 for a title" when I have about 30 titles which I paid about $15 each for - mostly from Amazon.

This product causes ringing and forces detail enhancement (sharpness) which does not help, but hurts image quality. This is no Realta chip, or any other solid product.

Just a marketing gimmick for a desperate company trying to protect their DVD royalty stream. I can respect that, but not the fools who stupidly follow Toshiba because of their love affair with HD DVD.

Status
Not open for further replies.