Tricking the game into thinking the computer has an older graphics card, so it can run

lucas200206

Prominent
May 8, 2017
I recently got a PopCap game for free (Bejeweled 3), for Origin was giving it out on its regular on-the-house promotions, and when I try to run it, it goes into a low resolution mode. Whenever I try to raise the resolution, the game says it can only do that when 3D acceleration is enabled; whenever I try to enable the 3D acceleration, it says that my video card does not meet the minimum requirements.

I do, however, have a NVIDIA GeForce 920M which should be more than enough for Bejeweled, but unfortunately newer cards aren't supported by these somewhat older games. For the integrated graphics, I have Intel HD 5500, which should also be more than enough for it to run.

I heard that if you manage to increase the resolution, it allows for 3D acceleration anyways, but that is impossible in a laptop, which I'm currently in.

The issue appears to happen for all PopCap games (Peggle, Bejeweled, Plants vs. Zombies) and on all discussions I went there were no apparent solutions.

Is there any way to trick the game into thinking that the computer has an older graphics card?

Mousemonkey

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2006

I too have those games from Origin and they run just fine on a GTX970 so I would have to dispute that they only run on older hardware.

Bahazbz

Estimable
Apr 19, 2015
If what you say is true that increasing resolution will solve your problem, you should look into "virtual super resolution" (DSR is the Nvidia equivalent, I believe) which allows you to run the desktop or certain apps at very high resolutions on a lower resolution screen with just a few clicks. You'll find this option in the Nvidia control panel.

As for tricking the system into thinking you have an older GPU, I'm not sure. You could try forcing the HD 5500 for that game by switching around the settings, again , in the control panels. Check both Nvidia's and Intel's control panels.

Hope this helps! Cheers.
-Bahazbz

lucas200206

Prominent
May 8, 2017

Hi,

I can't seem to find DSR in my control panel, but I'll try forcing the dedicated graphics.

Thanks!

EDIT: It didn't work, the graphics card did not recognize the game.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Laptop Tech Support 3
Ozzyrules420 Laptop Tech Support 1
L Laptop Tech Support 0
J Laptop Tech Support 0
H Laptop Tech Support 1
B Laptop Tech Support 4
C Laptop Tech Support 1
C Laptop Tech Support 1
R Laptop Tech Support 1
A Laptop Tech Support 1
M Laptop Tech Support 1