Troubleshooting Keyboard Issue

sweetbrookexoxo

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Hi guys.

I've recently ran into an issue with the keyboard on my alienware 15 laptop. One of the keys was not working (The D Key), and it would work intermittently. After reinstalling the drivers and whatnot, I figured it was a hardware problem. I then ordered a keyboard replacement on ebay and had it switched out.

When it first was switched, the key wouldn't work on the windows log-in screen, but would work once logged into windows. I'm not sure why..figured it was a driver issue. After reinstalling the driver, I'm having issues still. It decides to work sometimes, but most times it doesnt.

Overall, the D key is still not working on the new replacement keyboard. I have no idea why. The chances of the same key being malfunction in 2 pieces of hardware is unlikely. Plus it was working. Any ideas or suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Solution
When you reinstalled the drivers, did you uninstall them, then make sure you restarted the laptop before trying to reinstall them? If not, it will still have issues. Also, when the computer restarts, it should reinstall them on its own.

Have you tried using an external keyboard to see if you get any issues with it? I would suggest trying it, as that would help narrow the problems possibilities.
When you reinstalled the drivers, did you uninstall them, then make sure you restarted the laptop before trying to reinstall them? If not, it will still have issues. Also, when the computer restarts, it should reinstall them on its own.

Have you tried using an external keyboard to see if you get any issues with it? I would suggest trying it, as that would help narrow the problems possibilities.

Solution