TV Picture Not On (Most of the Time?)

Newt5

Honorable
Jun 7, 2012
So I have a Vizio smart tv and the screen acts strangely. When I turn it on, the Vizio logo appears while it boots up, just like normal. Then the screen goes black, the backlight turns off, and a weird high-pitched buzzing is heard coming from the back of the tv. Sometimes the display will flicker and the backlight will turn on for a moment and off again, emitting the sound while the backlight is on. When tuned to a TV station, sound can be heard clearly through the speakers as if it were okay, except there's still no picture and the backlight is off. If it means anything, this is most likely due to a power surge. Our town had a power outage during a bad storm, and the morning after they switched the power off and back on again, and it fried our surge protector (guess it sucked at its job?). Any and all help is appreciated, I don't have any experience troubleshooting displays. There was a fuse next to the power cord jack that Io thought may be bad, so I tested it and it's good. In hindsight this was probably useless but w/e.

Solution
It does sound like your TV was damaged by the surge and yes most surge suppressors suck (they also wear out with time). If it is out of warranty and you want to take a stab at fixing it check out www.shopjimmy.com for replacement boards.