Two Power Output Ratings?

GoomazegoM

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
Hi. I have a Pioneer VSX-1130-K. I'm confused about the power rating though for the speakers... there are two ratings:

Power Output: Watts per Channel (20Hz-20kHz,.08%THD@8ohm 2ch Driven) - 100 Watts
and
Power Output: Watts per Channel (1kHz,1%THD@6ohm 1ch Driven) - 165 Watts

Does this mean it's rated for 165W at 6 ohm AND 100W at 8 ohm?

Thanks!

Solution

For the run of the mill consumer, I agree.

See, you were initially enticed by MORE WATT.

In general....

When vendor says MORE WATT, that's a red flag, you have to ask, What's the Down Side? Watts are not free.
Less distortion is better, obviously.
Spec should be applied to the whole audio spectrum 20-20khz, anything less, spec not worthy.
Blah-blah channels driven - crap specs. Go by in-depth users' reviews instead.
Heavier is better, it means beefier power supply to provide power.

Happy shopping!
Yes it does but the 6 ohm rating is for a single channel being driven which is not realistic under any normal use.
The rating for a pair of 6 ohm speakers being used (2ch driven) would be less than 165 watts. Kind of a useless spec. They don't even give any spec on power with all channels driven. You can assume that if they did that the power might be 1/2 to 1/3 the 100 watt into 8 ohm rating.
The information is presented in such a way to hide the actual power the amp has under normal use.
AV receivers have a common power supply for all the amp channels so the more that are working at the same time the less power each channel can produce. How much less separates better more expensive receivers. Separate power amps usually maintain full power on all the channels all the time. Some even have separate power supplies for each channel. That's why separate amps usually sound more powerful than a similarly rated AV receiver.

GoomazegoM

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
I think that makes sense. So I'd be better off with the 100W speakers at 4-6 ohm than the 125W at 6-8 ohm?

Nope.

The numbers given tells you it's worse at lower ohms 6, than higher, 8.

The 8 ohm spec is better because is telling you LESS DISTORTION, at the entire audio range.

The 6 ohm spec is telling you it's got MORE DISTORTION, not only that, it's only measured at 1 kHz, one point in the entire audio spectrum.

What you like best? when the doctor says you can do THIS ONLY when you are rested, or you can do THIS all the time?

It's all very sad. I grew up with the famed, now defunct Stereo Review, when things were spec as X watt RMS, at 1/3 volume for 1 hour, 20-20 kHz, +/- so many DB THD Y. (they didn't say but it was assumed both stereo channels at the same time). All that told you the spec maintain its constancy throughout the audio spectrum and only varies so much (DB), and able to do this for one whole hour at 1/3 the power, so a real-life, I'm telling you because the box actually did this.

Nowadays, spec with 1 channel? you gotta be kidding me, who ever run with 1 channel EVER, and if you have surround, most likely one would have all speakers active even if you are playing stereo. Why is this bad? as more channel comes on, the total available power lowers, lower by how much, alas THEY DON'T TELL YOU!

Subscribe to youtube's audioholics, they talk about this stuff better than I do am sure.

GoomazegoM

Prominent
Apr 29, 2017
So confusing... this is obviously not my area of expertise. Ok I will go after the 8 ohm set. Thanks

For the run of the mill consumer, I agree.

See, you were initially enticed by MORE WATT.

In general....

When vendor says MORE WATT, that's a red flag, you have to ask, What's the Down Side? Watts are not free.
Less distortion is better, obviously.
Spec should be applied to the whole audio spectrum 20-20khz, anything less, spec not worthy.
Blah-blah channels driven - crap specs. Go by in-depth users' reviews instead.
Heavier is better, it means beefier power supply to provide power.

Happy shopping!

Solution