Upgrade graphics; Dell Inspiron 15 7548 i7; Intel HD Graphics 5500; AMD Radeon R7 M270

mark.fielding

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017
I have a Dell Inspiron 15 7548 i7 with Intel HD Graphics 5500 and AMD Radeon R7 M270 Graphics.

This machine is used for my Design Consultancy, I don't require gaming speeds. Neither do I actually work with Solidworks to create drawings. But I do receive them and need to conduct quick reviews and annotate with feedback.
I'm currently finding my current set up a little jerky and slow to respond.
It works acceptably well with Sketchup; Photoshop, but also struggles with high res Acrobat documents with multiple layers.
Any advice welcome. Maybe a good better best recommendation would help as I really don't know what to expect in terms of budget. If either are a soldered device I'll leave it, but if it is something that can be swapped out, that info would also be helpful.

I've read some of the forum content on graphics cards. But I.T. is the dark arts to be quite honest. I'm not a complete technophobe, but really don't know where to start with the following...

I'd like to improve the speed when working with Solidworks files. Any ideas if this is possible?

Cheers

Mark

System details as best as I can work out...

Dell Inspiron 15 7548 i7

Intel HD Graphics 5500
Location Information; PCI bus 0, device 2, function 0
Driver Version 20.19.15.4531
Rank of Driver 00D10001 (is this helpful?)

AMD Radeon R7 M270
Location Information; PCI bus 8, device 0, function 0
Driver Version 15.201.1101.0
Rank of Driver 00D10000

Solution
well since your running a laptop, the choices are close to none to do anything about it except get a new laptop.

The R7 M270 is a weak card, The performance of the Radeon R7 M270 is similar to the Nvidia GeForce 830M and GeForce GT 740M. Ref: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M270.139590.0.html

And since your running a laptop, upgrading it would be most difficult and costly compared to a new laptop, not to mention that the best, if even possible upgrade to said graphic card, would still be a poor upgrade. Sorry

I would ask you to run SPECCY application it will give you in depth details on the very first page on your hardware.

I am curious about your Ram on your machine, if you do a lot of large graphics (view or not) that sucks a lot of ram, and if you only have 4MB for example
it would be the very first easy thing I would change.

As for changing your video card, since your system is a laptop, this is not a possibility.

mark.fielding

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017

well since your running a laptop, the choices are close to none to do anything about it except get a new laptop.

The R7 M270 is a weak card, The performance of the Radeon R7 M270 is similar to the Nvidia GeForce 830M and GeForce GT 740M. Ref: https://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Radeon-R7-M270.139590.0.html

And since your running a laptop, upgrading it would be most difficult and costly compared to a new laptop, not to mention that the best, if even possible upgrade to said graphic card, would still be a poor upgrade. Sorry

Solution

mark.fielding

Prominent
Nov 1, 2017