Upgrade RAM to get Faster Excel Computing?

DieselGuyX

Estimable
Nov 12, 2014
Hello everyone,

I currently have an ASUS K56CA that i bought almost 2 years ago.

It's running the following config:

Core i7-3517U with 6GB of Ram

I know the computer is only upgradable to a max of 8GB of ram (Two 4GB slots), but really what I'm wondering is this:

- I need this computer to run my excel calculations faster (I also have a desktop that has 16GB of ram running some crazy 4-core i7 chipset).

My question is, if I was to swap out the 6GB of Ram currently on the laptop to the 8GB option, would that make any meaningful difference or am I better off giving it to a computer expert and having them run a cleaning diagnostic on the computer (it's getting to the point where I'm getting a windows message popping up saying the computer is out of memory).

Thanks in advance for your replies.

D

Solution
Open up Task manager, Go to the Performance Tab,

Check the Ram Usage when you do the Caculations. If it doesn't move it won't make a difference. Thats more Math anything. RAM only stores info. The CPU calculates it.

The difference between the two is that one is a laptop and one is probably a desktop. The laptop is a Dual core with 4 threads. The desktop is a Quad core with 8 Threads. Most likely the issues is the CPU not the ram.

drtweak

Honorable
Sep 17, 2012
Open up Task manager, Go to the Performance Tab,

Check the Ram Usage when you do the Caculations. If it doesn't move it won't make a difference. Thats more Math anything. RAM only stores info. The CPU calculates it.

The difference between the two is that one is a laptop and one is probably a desktop. The laptop is a Dual core with 4 threads. The desktop is a Quad core with 8 Threads. Most likely the issues is the CPU not the ram.

Solution

Winly

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Hello, Does the computer runs slow or it just with Excel? Are you able to perform others task with no issues? How much space you have left on your hard drive? and also I believe it will be beneficial to upgrade to 8GB, just make sure its DDR3 1600 MHz. Thats the one for that laptop. Finally, Remember that since you don't have a separate GPU you are using some of that RAM, so in reality instead of you having 6GB you have less available.