Using a receiver for PC sound without lag

noblerinthemind

Honorable
May 16, 2013
I'm experiencing lag with my new setup. It's minor but noticeable when I play guitar through the computer (Rocksmith). There is a fraction of a second delay. When using computer speakers and no receiver, there's no delay.
I just bought a Yamaha receiver with 5.1 speakers. I spoke to Yamaha and they said there is no way to completely remove lag through a receiver, that's why you shouldn't play musical instruments through the computer using a receiver. Even on "direct" settings the receiver still processes the signal a little bit. The rep said he "wouldn't use a receiver for Counterstrike"
I'm using PC -> Receiver -> monitor.
I've read conflicting posts here about this subject.
The rep recommended I get computer speakers that connect directly and don't process.
Any thoughts? Should I ditch the receiver and speakers if zero lag is my goal? I'd like to get higher quality sound and be able to have surround sound for movies but...

Thanks!

Solution
I have an external audio interface and when playing Rocksmith I also encounter lag. I have to play it through the onboard sound if I want to eliminate the lag. For everything else including all my games I have no issue. It seems there is a lot of processing going on when using Rocksmith.

Corwin65

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
I have an external audio interface and when playing Rocksmith I also encounter lag. I have to play it through the onboard sound if I want to eliminate the lag. For everything else including all my games I have no issue. It seems there is a lot of processing going on when using Rocksmith.

Solution
Mar 28, 2018
That's tough to hear that the pure direct setting would still be introducing latency yet it makes sense if you are sending a digital signal to the receiver since it is then responsible for DAC. I would try plugging the analog outputs of the computer into the analog inputs of the receiver and setting pure direct. Ideally (but $$) you would go PC -> ASIO soundcard -> discrete amplifier. In such an arrangement latency is simply from the ASIO/hardware buffers and can be as low as 3ms. Any amplifier, such as a Lepai LP-2020TI, is zero latency by definition ... 3 of them would give surround sound... heheh.

Jan 18, 2019
I found a solution for my Yamaha RX-V470 AV receiver. I encountered the same delay while playing my e-piano that on my old 25-old Kenwood receiver didn't occur.
Fortunately I found a solution on another board: the secret is, that you have to set "2-channel stereo" on both the DSP menu (where you can choose between adventure, Munich concert hall and so on AND in the "Straight" Menu.
With that settings I can play piano without a lag and without the strange feeling that the tone comes a fraction later after pressing the key.