Using both HDMI ports at once on Panasonic Viera Smart TV.

captmactavish

Estimable
Dec 5, 2015
So, yesterday I got the delivery of my much awaited Sony Blu-Ray Disc/DVD Home Theatre System (Model NO. BDV-E4100). It has 5 speakers and 1 woofer, all of which connect to the Blu Ray player. Further the Blu Ray has an HDMI output.
I have a Panasonic Viera Smart TV 42". It has 2 HDMI and AV ports. So, previously one HDMI was being used by the DTH Box (TV service) and one was empty. So obviously I connected the HT system to the second one. Now the problem is (which I didn't think of before *sigh* ) that you have to select/activate ONLY ONE port at a time, i.e. I can either use the 1st port to watch TV (without the HT's speakers) with the normal channels OR switch to second port and use ONLY the HT system.
Now the HT would be almost useless if I can't use it to watch regular TV. Hence I am writing here for any ideas that you people might have. Am I missing something obvious here?
Also I was wondering if an HDMI switch or splitter (One male to two female HDMI ports) would somehow trick the TV to think that both the DTH and HT system are connected to the same port and they work together?
PS. I should also mention that there is a "Bravia Sync" button on the HT's remote but that didn't seem to have any effect, so I am guess that it works only for Sony's Bravia devices.

Solution
Option 1. That HTS seems to have HDMI in and out. Connect the DTH box to the input. That way you will get sound through the HTS.
Option 2. Connect the audio output of the TV to the HTS. That will give you audio from the DTH.
Option 3. If the HTS and TV both have ARC (audio return channel), connect the HTS to the HDMI input labeled ARC and turn in on in the TV set up menu. Now the same cable that connects the HTS the TV will bring audio from the TV to the HTS
Option 1. That HTS seems to have HDMI in and out. Connect the DTH box to the input. That way you will get sound through the HTS.
Option 2. Connect the audio output of the TV to the HTS. That will give you audio from the DTH.
Option 3. If the HTS and TV both have ARC (audio return channel), connect the HTS to the HDMI input labeled ARC and turn in on in the TV set up menu. Now the same cable that connects the HTS the TV will bring audio from the TV to the HTS

Solution