Valve Won't Change Business Model Despite European Ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.

nukemaster

Distinguished
I would not mind being able to give away games I got with packages that i do NOT play, but others may want.

Other then that, I have had no regrets with steam :) great prices and fast downloads.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
resales for games are needed for high priced game, but if I can get some good quality game for just $5 bucks I wont mind being locked at my acc for good.

G

Whatever, Valve. Steam is cool, but every time you try to control how consumers consume their PURCHASES, they will rebel. Enter pirates and torrenting.

I swear, do none of these business geniuses consider the human impact of all these annoying attempts to control and derive more profit? I feel compelled to pirate if for no other reason than to spite these assholes.

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
Oddly enough, I really could care less. Maybe it's because I put so much research into the games I'm considering buying before I buy them to the point where I'm never really disappointed with a game I buy enough to sell it. The inability to sell games has always been something the consumer has had to just accept when it came to using the Steam service and because no one forces you to play video games or to use the Steam client I don't know why consumers would have a right to be mad at Valve about the fact they can't sell their Steam games.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Considering how nearly every game now has to be linked to an account, not like it would be feasible to be able to trade.

Sure you could trade a game, but that CD-key is linked to someone elses account. And a different key isn't a trading, it's giving them a brand new digital copy of it.

Raid3r

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
Well it is a shame, This is the ugly truth that valve has done quite well at avoiding. Digital = infinite and they have a chance here to jump start what people are going to do some how anyway. Comon valve, be a peach and tread the rocky road once more.

I don't resale because I don't pay big bucks for any of my games, there a quite a few that do and this would get the game economy on the roll. Selling and bartering are creative aspects, so humans LIKE doing it. I'm done.

G

Please let there be a precedent soon. There are some Steam games I want to recoup my losses from.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
We should remember that we live in a generation where people think they are entitled to everything, including the change of a business policy. Valve does not and should not have to change anything how they operate they're business just because of a bunch of whiny brats who think they are entitled to different circumstances. Don't like it? Tough luck. You should of thought about that before you agreed to they're TOS. You could of easily taken your money else where if you don't like it. Don't expect a company to give up its beliefs just because it upsets you. I thought we lived in a world where "freedom" was valued? Does Valve not have these so called "freedoms" to use to operate how they wish? I think they're doing a perfect job with the DD market.

G

For the people defending these types of no-resale policies . . . so nothing else you buy should be able to be sold second-hand? This is a good, and if I purchase it, I should be able to sell it or use it however I may please.

It doesn't matter if the item is digital or not. They could facilitate the transfer of CD keys between accounts, but they don't want to because that means less profits- just like in any other industry with a robust second-hand market.

I really don't understand why consumers will fellate companies they have no real loyalties or obligations to. You need to stand up for your rights- and that includes the ability to SELL PROPERTY THAT I OWN post-purchase. Seriously, guys, that's not "being entitled." That's how real life works.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
[citation][nom]TeholTheConfused[/nom] You need to stand up for your rights- and that includes the ability to SELL PROPERTY THAT I OWN post-purchase. Seriously, guys, that's not "being entitled." That's how real life works.[/citation]

That's just the thing. You do NOT own any of your games. The developers own the games. The only thing you purchase is the license that's required to play that game.

redyellowblueblast

Honorable
May 21, 2012
So you are telling me that people should be allowed to claim properties that others have created? And on top of that, make profit from it? Does that not sound like that, that property is being stolen? The only people that should make any sort of profit from any given product is the creator, and the distributor. Not the consumer.

G

Don't think Valve can even implement resale if they EU forced them to. With how they set their
systems up, how it is installed(imaged) on your pc, and the way its tied to your acc. Plus most
of the steam games a fairly low priced with only a few that are priced higher. Practically low(if not none) incentive for anyone that even want to deal with it. What Valve can do(experiment) for
those that no longer want the steam games that they are done with or those that received
games that were gifted but never activated. They should try and let it be traded back to Valve
for some small non-refund credit towards any new steam games or any steam games they
suggest. That will make their steam platform even more attractive.

G

No, what I'm telling you is that that is a matter of semantics. You are purchasing an item, not a "license." We clearly see things differently if you don't believe in resale. But you know what? The ECJ agrees with me . . . and you're just some random person on the Internet. In addition to that, how many other industries can you name that explicitly deny resale?

If Ford, or any other major automotive manufacturer suddenly announced tomorrow that nobody is allowed to sell cars that they purchased from Ford, because you're "only buying the license to USE the car," you can bet there would be a shitstorm of epic proportions.

Your argument is extremely flawed. I did not say that I could claim others' property. Nice straw man, though.
Mine, on the other hand, is supported by a high court- you know, those things that specialize in interpreting law and protecting peoples' rights?

smuggl3r

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2011
Selling used steam games would be the last nail in PC gaming's coffin: big revenue loss for the game developers, not worth it for them to develop for the PC anymore.

G

Tehol2 you cant read? o_O My post wasn't referring to the ruling of resale. If your cant read
correctly then get someone to help read it for you. o_O ALSO you posted as a random anon
so get off of your high horse attitude. Freedom of Speech ever hear of it HUH? O.O AND LOL
your arguing without first understanding what I posted shows how flawed your intelligence is.

itchyisvegeta

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
A resale system for DLC and downloaded games is a must, if these companies truly want to go to a digital only system. There is no reason why they can't set up a system where the game developers get a cut, just like ebay gets a cut when you sell an item there

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
I save u guys some trouble www.greenmangaming.com allow trade in for almost every games. Trade-in value are higher if the demand is high, so if u buy at discount rate, and trade it later when the demand is high, u might actually earn buck of it ur lucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.