Virus Win10 Reinstall?

bobtrips

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2003
I have a virus (very high uploads started in Dec 1). I've run Windows Defender and Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool. Neither detected the problem.

What should I do next - a reinstall?

Solution
There is the possibility that this is not virus related. Windows 10 has an option turned on by default to send downloaded updates to other computers over the internet. You can turn this off in Settings>Update & Security>Advanced options>Choose how updates are delivered, and turn off the setting there to send to other PCs over the internet. This could potentially explain your high uploads.

Still, it can't hurt to run the scans people above me have suggested as well.
If the above fails, then yes I'd probably reinstall.

*You can also try loading a RESTORE POINT prior to the issue bit I'd run Malwarebytes and similar first.

If you need to reinstall, then look into an automated backup solution like Acronis True Image. I have an Incremental, weekly backup and it auto deletes older backups.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
Before reinstalling I would :
Boot in safe mode with networking.
Goto bleepingcomputer.com and download 1-rkiil - 2-roguekiller.3-adwcleaner
Reboot and then scan with malware bytes anti-malware.
If problem persist. Reinstall windows

w00sey

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016
There is the possibility that this is not virus related. Windows 10 has an option turned on by default to send downloaded updates to other computers over the internet. You can turn this off in Settings>Update & Security>Advanced options>Choose how updates are delivered, and turn off the setting there to send to other PCs over the internet. This could potentially explain your high uploads.

Still, it can't hurt to run the scans people above me have suggested as well.

Solution
I've never had high uploads from my PC.

I'm not even sure if the upload issue extends outside of a local network. That may only be to download to one PC, and then share the upload with others on the same LAN (i.e. the same house sharing the same ROUTER).

w00sey

Commendable
Dec 7, 2016

Sharing on the same LAN is one option, but sharing on the same LAN and sharing over the internet is the default.
Z4uwBMq.png