Vista Media Center won't read DVD files from Seagate 4TB External Hard drive

Toyotafreak1965

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I have a lot of DVD movies that I ripped to my computers internal hard drive using any DVD.
They show up and play just fine in Vista Media center. I also have movie files stored on many other external hard drives ranging from 500GB to 1TB. They all play just fine.
Well I saw a deal on a Seagate 4TB external back-up drive so I bought one. I intended on consolidating my movie collection onto the 4TB HDD.
I copied all of the movies from one of my computers 500GB internal hard drives over to the 4TB drive. Most of the movie files won't play from the 4TB drive, but there are a few that do start but freeze up.
What is the deal?
I read that Vista can't recognise HDD larger than 2TB, is that true.
If so is there a workaround?

Thanks,

Vista hasn't been supported for years and hasn't been updated to support modern items (for example 4TB drives which didn't exist when Vista was supported). Only Windows 7 and 8 are supported for consumers. If you have a computer running Vista it is probably very old too, good news new PCs are extremely cheap. you can get alot more performance gain and compatibility with a simple i3 Core from Walmart for only $249 since all your doing is using it as a media center. If these are all External (USB) drives you could even swap for a Laptop for the same price, and add portability (especially on long drives, trips, etc.) for your movie collection.

Toyotafreak1965

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
I use the PC as a Home Theater PC and have it connected to a Yamaha 7.1 receiver which then sends it on to a Samsung Plasma.
The PC has a Blue Ray player/DVD reader writer drive, and an AMD Quadcore processor, and a new fanless AMD HD video card that sends the video and audio out through HDMI to the receiver. It works well. I have thought about building another Home Theater PC, but I wish I could just figure out what I need to do to get this one to read the DVD files from the 4TB external drive.

ptami

Honorable
Feb 6, 2014

I'm having the same problem and I'm running Windows 7 using My Movies and Windows Media Center. One of my 2tb drives just bit the dust and I bought a Seagate 4tb external drive hoping I could consolidate some of my older 2tb drives that are dying onto the larger drive. This problem was going on several years ago when the 3tb drive first came out, but I can't believe they haven't fixed this issue yet.