Vizio 70" E701I-A3 - Picture went out like *snap* that! No picture, have tried replacement boards!

Status
Not open for further replies.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
My dad got this TV about 5 or 6 months ago and he has had no issues with it at all. The TV would probably be on for about 3 to 4 hours a day maximum. About a week ago, he was watching something and right before his eyes the picture went out (no popping noise or any electronic failure sound). Audio was going through Home Theatre system which continues as the TV speakers had been set to off.

When powering the TV on, The power light comes up and seems to be solid with a slight flickering. The back-light comes on but the display remains black. When using the volume buttons on the TV or remote, the back light will brighten and then fade to normal brightness. At this point I assumed the video board might be bad, and that there really wasn't any power issue. However, at the cost of the TV and the components only costing about $60, I bought a replacement power board and Video Board, none of which solved the problem.

My next bet is to buy a T-con board, but everywhere I've seemed to look doesn't really show that this will solve the problem. I have even tried resetting the TV via button combos but nothing seemed to do anything. Could the actual display have gone out?? Please, if anyone has any suggestions for us to try it would be much appreciated! And we no longer have the receipt to this TV so I dont think there is any way to return this for repairs. Thanks again!!

He got the TV 5-6 months ago, it should be in warranty. Get it fixed though that. Did you register it when you got it? If you did, you can deal directly with Vizio not the store. You can try Vizio anyway even if you did not. Although since you opened it already yourself you probably voided the warranty if they see any seals broken.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Sorry for the late reply, been very busy. TV was 1 month out of warranty when this occurred, and I have talked to Vizio themselves with no luck.. I replaced the Tcon board as well and it didn't seem to solve the issue. Is there anything more in depth than just the boards I can try out, even if it means taking the display out? Any more info would be wonderful, thanks!

chrispickens3

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Same issue. Replaced the T Con board, but still no picture. Anyone find a solution?

kousai989

Estimable
Aug 4, 2014
Hi
I had the same problem but mine started with a line going across the bottom then one day the tv won't display picture. I have contacted geek squad and the tech came out to my house and charged me money to tell me it's a main board issue. I have replaced the main board and the controller board,T-con, but no luck. I have done research to find out this is a common problem among these models and was wondering if anyone heard about a recall from vizio because this is unacceptable for a tv less than a year old.

chrispickens3

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014

Today I got the main board and the power/led board in the mail. I have replaced all three boards now and nothing has changed. Still have the navy blue screen and sound.

cisom99

Estimable
Aug 8, 2014

I'm the same boat... anyone call Vizio for a solution???

chrispickens3

Estimable
Jul 31, 2014
I ended up taking mine to the shop. They tested the boards and everything about them is functioning properly. Everything is pointing towards the screen being bad. I bought mine off an individual and since I don't know what store it came from, vizio will not honor their 2 year extended warranty that they issued for my model. Looks like I'll be shopping for a Samsung!

redingepor

Estimable
Aug 9, 2014
Although since you opened it already yourself you probably voided the warranty if they see any seals broken.
tCHyxz

lyttledevilish

Estimable
Aug 31, 2014

What does the model number start with? I had the same issue read about bad chip assembly and was told it was not my model. Waiting for my warranty people to call on the extended warranty to get it fixed. Wondering if there is an issue with certain model numbers again.

d2dwar

Estimable
Jan 3, 2015

Excellent. So everyone posting on here has identical symptoms you had with your 70" Vizio by replacing all the boards to no avail and all that really needs replaced is the LED screen. Did the shop happen to mention to you where you can purchase the 70" screen from and how much the part costs? I see that shopjimmy sells them but for the 47" E701i-A3 models... thanks for taking the time to share your experience and getting an expert shop opinion! http://www.shopjimmy.com/tvs/internal-parts

ivictorps

Estimable
Jan 10, 2015
I have this same TV except i bought it second hand. I bought it off craigslist in hopes of fixing it. I have replaced every single board on the back of this TV with absolutely no luck. My serial number is lftrnxbp1704276 and model number is e701i-A3. I have never seen the LED lights turn on, Neither the LCD itself. One weird thing about mine is that all the boards inside have the model number "e601i-A3" when i know for sure it is the 70 inch model, it even says it on the back cover. If anyone discovers anything else which could help please post, or if you have any questions about my experience with this repair. Just reply to this thread.

jtimmer

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

Not sure how you paid for your tv but our 70" Vizio just went out as well. From what we understand it is toast. We have had it for 13 months, one month past the warranty. Just found out since we paid for it (in full) with our Mastercard, they will pay to have it repaired or refund us in full for the amount we paid for the TV. I d don't know if your MC/VISA has these benefits but many do, people just don't know about them. Mastercard has been fully cooperative and will be refunding us once we email them the receipt, credit card statement showing that we paid on our mastercard, a copy of the warranty which is online, and the itemized service order showing the repair amount or unrepairable. This all has to be done within 30 days of the power failure of the TV.

darkside80

Estimable
Feb 2, 2015

I just finished researching this problem with the 70 inch version of this set made in 2013 for a TV servicer client. I advised the client to have the owner contact Vizio customer support. They told the owner that they do not have a formal recall out for this model year set but that they have decided to replace the set, which suggests that the problem is with the panel. Some of the servicers mentioned that the LED backlights were turning on OK but replacing all the boards did not restore the picture.

wltasler

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
The same exact thing just happened to mine last night. I watched it yesterday and it was fine. Tried to turn it on 2 hours later and nothing. Just a weakly lit blank screen. Seems to brighten a little when I press any button on the remote. So annoying. I'm on hold now with Vizio, I bought mine about 1 year ago, new. It is truly used only on the weekends for about 6-8 hours.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014
I have tinkered with this TV on and off, and have come up with some interesting results. I bought another E701I-A3 off of eBay, it had the bottom right hand corner backlight out. I was going to see if I could remove the backlight from my dad's TV and swap it into this one in order to sell it and make some money back. While I had both TV's apart I tried all of the components from the TV1 (Original Dead TV) and swapped them into TV2 (Donor TV from eBay). Everything worked like a champ, swapped everything over down to the wires leading into the display. The results told me that TV1's display is infact the culprit, there is no other board that can be replaced.

I am assuming there is a controller on the display itself that has gone bad or gone out, but it seems like too much work for me to get into right now, as it would lead to me running a voltmeter along the display boards without any blueprint to go by. There are only two solutions:

1) Replace the faulty component on the display, provided it isn't on a flex ribbon connecting to the LCD.
or
2) Replace the Display itself.

It's a damn shame these displays are going out, and now I'm stuck using a 70" with a backlight out in the bottom right hand corner. (Taking the backlight out proved to be very difficult and I didn't want to risk damaging TV2's display any further)

lmayala

Estimable
Mar 1, 2015
Mine just went out today! I never registered it with Vizio, its not even a year old. Does anyone know if they will honor the warranty without it being registered? I do have my receipt.

farnell121

Estimable
May 17, 2014

From my understanding, if you have the receipt of purchase, and the TV is not more than a year old, they should replace it for you. If they refuse to replace it or repair it, it doesn't hurt to escalate things, bitch, and complain. This is a very common problem for this model TV, and a manufacturer defect, they should replace the unit, and I wouldn't go without a fight.

It helps greatly that you have a receipt, mine was bought second hand, and the TV went bad one month after the 1-year hardware warranty was up. I am seriously thinking about opening a lawsuit..

Jacob1985

Estimable
Mar 14, 2015
I purchased my tv about 18 months ago at best buy. The same problem has happen to me. My wife was watching tv and the screen fade from outside in to a very lightly lite blue back light. I have call vizio about it and since it is over a year since purchased they will do nothing to fix the problem. Does anyone know what part needs to be replace? The vizio customer service women gave me two numbers to call to order the part, but do not know what part to replace

ITI Repair 1(888)248-2708

HD Repair 1(800)638-9682

Status
Not open for further replies.