Voice through PC headphones.

mark3800

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013
So I have been trying for about a month now to figure out how to get my PC headphones to receive voice only through it when gaming. I am mainly trying to get the same setup as an Xbox 360, where only people talking can be heard through the the headphones and the music and sound effects play through your speakers. I do not know if there a way where you can have both the speakers and your headphones working at the same time, but if I could then I would simply turn down the music and sound effects on the headphones and hear voice only through the headphones. I know there has to be a way to make this work because I cannot believe everybody who buys a good set of gaming headphones has to try and decipher people talking over all the other sound.

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
that's interesting, I've never had anything other than just headphones when in voice chat! if you're using a mic and have speakers blaring out sound I found other people could hear my game sounds through their headset which is extremely annoying for them, especially if multiple people are using speakers and mics. does the Xbox have great echo reduction or do speaker users just annoy everyone without realising? =D

For me, to make sure I can hear the people clearly I turn down the game audio settings and/or turn skype/other voice app up. this is what all of my PC friends have done as long as I can remember.

mark3800

Honorable
Jul 7, 2013

So when you say you have never heard anything other than voice chat in your headphones, do you mean voice only or game music and sound effects as well? The Xbox is setup is the way I figured the PC would be setup on most games for the most part. As for people getting annoyed by other people's mics on the Xbox, the answer is no, unless you would run across somebody who has their TV volume up way to high. I could swear I saw somebody say that you can have the sound coming through both your computer speakers and your headphones at the same time. That is why I said if this could be done, then I would simply turn down the music/sound effects of the game in the headphones to 0 and leave the voice to a decent setting, but still hear the game music and sound effects through the PC speakers.

jwk3

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012

sorry for being a bit vague in that sense. when in a voice call I've always only used my headphones, which provides my voice sounds and my game sounds. I think being able to splitt audio between headphones and speakers is something that would range between computers/sound cards. For me I can't find a way to split the sound per application on my PC, but hey, I might be barking up the wrong tree!

The reason I was so shocked at consciously running speakers and a mic is because (in my example) most matches in NFS The Run are totally ruined for me by people using speakers as the game has the microphone on by default, leading to the game sounds echoed 4 times by people playing on laptops or with big bass-ey speakers and I've had to quit many games because I couldn't deal with 4 echoing V8s through bad quality microphones and screaming kids... why do all NFSTR players seem to either have the TV on in the background and/or noisy kids?... ANYWAY, I digress.

I think it's one of those things that depends on what sound setup you have on your PC. you could buy a 3.5mm splitter but that would just duplicate all sound to both devices. On the Xbox do you just plug in the headset and it only plays the voice by default or do you have to toggle options for this?