Volume is ALL the way OFF, but sound still playing?

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013
If I turn my volume all the way down to where it says 0 on my computer, I can still hear it playing just lightly. It is almost completely down, but still there. It freaks me out if there is a movie playing in the background, or a video or something that I forgot to pause.

Any ideas for a solution?

Solution
It is possible that it is a win 8 problem with certain hardware that was overlooked...
I would also look at the volume mixer and the rec/payback devices and see if there are meters moving with a signal.
This I found useful when I was trying to fix my audio problem with my digital recorder.
If you have the "speaker" icon on the sys tray then right click and select one of those and investigate! (make sure you have an audio source playing.) you should see the bar meter moving.
Then you can mute it and if that solves the problem, then open the properties of that channel and see what is set.

boju

Distinguished
been looking for the last hr for references and various phrases people might use, while many were still under investigation from couple years ago, this post here was the only one that had a solution. It may not help you, but thought i should share anyway.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/69845-volume-all-way-down-still-sound.html

If you're using on board Realtek, go to their website and update the driver.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Acer V3 551G 8454
AMD A84500M APU with Radeon HD Graphics 1.90 Ghz
4.00 RAM
64 Bit Windows 8

Speakers Realtek High Definition Audio
AMD High Definition Audio Device
Realtek High Definition Audio Device

I checked all through device manager and it says they are updated to the newest version.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

There are different drivers under different categories with slightly different names. I don't know which ones I need to uninstall. I looked under Acer for my model and it doesn't have any of the sound drivers, so I am basically screwed if I uninstall the wrong one.

boju

Distinguished
Create a restore point if your unsure of the outcome.

Realtek provides universal sound drivers for all of their sound chips.

In their website, click download. From there click High Definition Audio Codecs (Software) link.

Tick 'I accept' box and download the 64bit version from the top two written in blue.

Don't need to uninstall anything.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Figured it out before I saw your post, but thanks anyway. However that didn't do it.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I am using realtek, or so my devices say.

The only thing regarding sound effects that I could find was a check box to disable all sound effects. It didn't matter whether it as checked or not though, I tested both.

boju

Distinguished
In device manager have you tried disabling AMD High Definition Audio Device?

I'm wondering if the laptop has two sound chips. One for AMD Radeon, and there being another onboard the laptop's motherboard. I read its possible AMD Radeon to hijack the sound, through software glitch i suppose.

Try disabling through device manager or see if there are options for sound under Catalyst Control Center.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

No luck, I'm afraid. Disabled through DM. CCC only has a default device option for audio with the realtek speakers selected.

boju

Distinguished
Could try hdmi out and see if the volume for the hdmi does the same thing through a tv.

Its hard to tell if its still software to this point after trying we've suggested. Possible explanation might be the volume regulator not cutting out current completely. 0db should be 0volts, somehow current is still live.

Mute might be your only option.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

Have to try that one tomorrow. Starting to get late. Thank you for the help and I'll update this tomorrow at some point.

eight013

Honorable
Jun 20, 2013

I started noticing it a few days ago, but I only got the laptop a week ago as well so right from the start, I'm assuming.

Maybe the next windows update will fix it or something.