Want to hook up my graphics card to the same monitor with HDMI and DVI at the same time

stephenforest

Prominent
Oct 5, 2017
Can I hook up my graphics card via HDMI and DVI at the same time to the same monitor? This would make it easier to switch from one mode to the other without unplugging and re-plugging the cables

I have tried but when I switch the monitor input to HDMI, the desktop has no icons (still have sound).

Solution
Your computer thinks there are two displays connected and is running the HDMI connection as the secondary display in Extended Mode. You would need to find a way to set up a hot key to swap which graphics card output is the primary.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Or you could try setting the displays up as clones of each other.
Your computer thinks there are two displays connected and is running the HDMI connection as the secondary display in Extended Mode. You would need to find a way to set up a hot key to swap which graphics card output is the primary.

-Wolf sends

Edit: Or you could try setting the displays up as clones of each other.

Solution

4745454b

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2006
He said the same monitor wolf. He's running two connections between the same monitor and PC. He even said it's a desktop, so it's not a laptop with a main screen. I'm completely baffled as to what he's trying to do and why.

Yep! I know. The computer thinks there are two displays connected. One via HDMI and the other via DVI. The computer is showing DVI as the primary display and the HDMI as the secondary display, even though they are the same physical display.

-Wolf sends

USAFRet

Illustrious

Because the PC thinks there are two monitors connected. And in Extended view.
It is trying to span the Desktop across 2 screens. DVI being the Primary, and HDMI being the Secondary (with no icons).

Why are you wanting to do this?