What are possible causes of my laptop stuttering?

robert0joe

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
My laptop is randomly stuttering when watching YouTube videos, movies, listening to music, or playing games. It lasts for 1-4 seconds and occurs randomly throughout the day. It occurs 2-12 times a day within a 10 hour use within the day. I am monitoring my RAM, CPU, HDD usage and when the stuttering occurs, there seems to be no spiking, no process jumps to 100% or even 50%.

My previous laptop had the same problem, but only occurred when watching videos and listening to music from the internal hard drive. Watching YouTube videos, watching movies and listening to music in my external hard drive had no problem, and the stuttering is somewhat continuous. I would see in the Performance that my Disk Usage spike up when the stuttering occurs. I replaced the internal HDD and solved the problem.

But this problem is different from my new laptop since it doesn't happen continuously and happens not only in the internal HDD but everywhere including my external HDD and watching internet videos. But it occurs for a few seconds and occurs a few times throughout the day which makes this an annoyance more than a major issue. But this laptop is only a month old and I fear that if I ignore the problem it may grow as time goes.

I already tried re-installing Windows 8 and the stuttering is still there. I'm currently trying to update my drivers to see if it would solve the problem.

So my question is, what are the possible causes or even solutions? Is it hardware or software related? Is it the CPU? Is my RAM failing? Is the HDD broken?

Specs:

Model: Acer Aspire V3-471
CPU: Intel Core i3-3120M 2.5GHz
RAM: 4GB DDR3
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4000

Please help me for I am desperate and I thank you for taking time to read my problem. -Joe :(