What headset works with an Asus laptop?

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013
Hi.

What headset works with an Asus laptop?

The Asus support page says:
"Why the external microphone can not be used after plugged into the Notebook audio combo jack?

There are two kinds of Headphones/microphone connector in the market.

1. Three-conductor 3.5 mm separate microphone and Headphone.

2. Four-conductor 3.5 mm headphone with microphone.

If you want to use the external headphone function, you can use both devices.

But if you want to use the external microphone function, the three-conductor 3.5 mm microphone will not work after plug into the Notebook audio combo jack.

Suggest to use a four-conductor 3.5 mm headphone with microphone device, the microphone and headphone function can be used at the same time."

So I bought an Asus headset which claims to be four-conductor and have split Y cable for computers. Well it does, but the four-conductor is a single jack and the split Y cable is a three-conductor!

I need a four-conductor mic jack as that's what will be plugged into the laptop.

So now I'm at a complete loss. I've spent a stupidly long time trying to find any decent headset so was happy when I found the Asus one as plugging into the laptop rather than a desktop would be so much better for me but looks like even their own products aren't designed to work with their laptops.

Sorry for the kinda long post! So what headsets will work with an Asus laptop? Failing that, any suggestions for a cheap but good quality headset are welcome!

Thanks.

What you need is either a headset that has a combo jack already (plenty of those, just look up "xbox one 3.5mm headset"), or external soundcard that supports normal (jack powered) mics, or a USB headset. If you don't mind audio quality, something like the astro mixamp would work.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Thanks.

There may be loads, but I'm struggling to find a headset that is actually decent. Very few reviews mention the mic and that's the most important part to me and often when they are mentioned it's people saying they're rubbish or half say rubbish, half say good. So I'm completely lost at which headset is any good whatsoever.

As for an external soundcard, currently looking and struggling greatly to find one that's not from China or stupidly expensive.

Would go for USB but do any of the USB headsets have an audio jack with them because I need that to be separate and it has to be an jack?

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I'm not complaining about quality, I'm complaining about things failing to work at all (just to add, I mean in the sense of being incompatible with my laptop).

When I say people complain the mics are rubbish I mean in the sense of they don't work at all or no one can tell a word of what they're saying rather than it's just not top quality. I don't expect crystal clear, top of the range sound, but I expect when I buy a mic to record that people will actually hear a sound otherwise it's just completely pointless. Doesn't matter what price it is, it should allow for sound and not all the ones I've looked at have been stupidly cheap either.

You can get decent products for far less than £100.

You picked that laptop, you should have researched what a combo jack meant. The E1 I showed you is 20GBP, get it and then you can pick whatever headset or headphone+mic combo you want.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Thanks, but sadly it's still more than I'd like to spend right now. I'll try and remember to keep that in mind though if I decide to spend more in the future :)

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Yes, I bought it well over a year ago. A year before I decided I'd want to record on it or had any idea about recording anything anywhere. Oddly enough I can't see into the future so now I'm doing my best to try and figure out options, hopefully without spending too much, and I feel like you keep judging me (although I do thank you for the suggestions you have given).

This forum is here to help people, right? That's why I came here. Well that's the laptop I have, I can't afford a new one, I can't afford expensive equipment, I don't care about having expensive equipment. I just want something that does work on it because sadly it's what I'm stuck with.

By the way, I know exactly what a combo jack is. If you read my original post you'll see that is not my issue.

The issue is with the three-connector and four-connector. The official site for Asus recommends four-conductor, although what they mean by that is three-conductor doesn't work at all for a mic/headset. Having just the one port is fine, finding anything mic-wise that works in it is the issue.

I did try the four-conductor jack in it, it didn't work. The split cable is only a three-conductor so obviously that didn't work.

Anyway, I have bought a sound card adapter. I'm not sure where the E1 is £20, appears to be £30/35 looking on Amazon and Ebay, but I guess it doesn't matter now (least I know the option for it is there now, so thanks).

I am now torn between headset and microphone. It's hard to find a headset where reviews are clear and agreed about whether or not the mic works at all, most don't say. However, with just a microphone I worry it'll pick up too much background noise and it's a case of finding a decent one (by that I mean cheap, but no major common faults and has sound, even if not the best). For example, I've been looking at the SF-920.

Actually this makes it clear that you DON'T know what a combo jack "is", as in why it's different than a mic port and why it becomes difficult to deal with. A combo jack is a combination of line in with line out, whereas a mic port includes a power component that a line-in port does not. Basically, with a combo jack you are limited to using dynamic mics, which are generally either dirt cheap or ridiculously expensive. Since your budget is basically 0, you're going to get garbage.

If you want decent headphone quality, you're going to end up spending >100, so why are complain that the E1 is outside of your budget ? You probably spend more than that on useless garbage every month. Just skip on the beer for a week and you can afford one.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

Combo as in combination of mic and headphones. That in turn means difficulties as you describe. I don't, however, care how it works because it doesn't matter, all I wanted to know is what would work in it considering I tried an official Asus product that Asus officially claim works in their Asus laptops and it didn't.

All I asked was what does work since that doesn't and if anything should work it should be that. That answer would be dynamic mics then, no need for the rest or telling me what I don't know.

I don't care about headphone quality at all. My issue is mic quality...not even sound quality, just which headset has one that actually works.

The E1 is £30/35 and that's only the cost for plugging in a headset/mic. I've still got the cost of a headset/mic on top of that and so it's then more than I want to pay.

Your insult is hilarious, I don't drink and I'm not likely to spend that amount in 6 months! Besides, if you look at my comments at no point did I say I couldn't afford it. I have a price range, a budget, an amount I'm willing to spend. Regardless of what you think, I'm sticking to it.

I did say I'd get what I want in my price range, but I decided to edit it as you know what, I already have found items. I found a sound card adapter cheaper and I'm considering a few mics all within my budget that all have good sound quality. I'm considering one at a higher value largely because it's easier to get a hold of, but technically I can get that free so...

1) You didn't read the post... A combo jack is a combination of stereo line out and line in. It is NOT a combination of stereo line out and mic in (which uses a stereo jack by itself). A true mic+stereo headphone jack would have at least 5 components, not 4.
2) You should care about how it works, because you could have avoided having problems in the first place knowing how it works. Hell, if you check I'm sure they explain it on the asus site.
3) You never stated what headset (there's over two dozen from asus alone), but most of their sets are either USB (which works fine) or already combo-jack compatible to begin with.

Forums are all about "teach a man to fish". If you just want straight answers, go to a store and ask for a product that will work.

1)You specifically stated: "There may be loads, but I'm struggling to find a headset that is actually decent. Very few reviews mention the mic and that's the most important part to me "
2) Nobody is insulting you by saying your budget is ridiculous for what you stated you wanted!

Now, just to clarify... the headset you bought from asus works properly with just the trrs plugged in, or does it not work correctly with trrs? Re-reading it makes it seem as if you were trying to take a trrs headset, split it to two trs with the splitter, and then pick up the mic that way. If that's the case, then no, that's not how you're supposed to use it, and the splitter is there for laptops that don't use a combo jack.

sn0zb0z

Honorable
Oct 29, 2013

I bought a headset with one jack that's a four-connector. That jack was for headphones and mic in one. That did not work.

It also came with a split cable that's a three-connector. That attaches to the four connector. I tried plugging just the mic in to see but it didn't work (didn't expect it to, but figured worth trying).

I do have an adapter for split cables into 1, but that's a three-connector so doesn't work on my laptop so for that reason I didn't bother trying it.

The mic now doesn't work at all, but after trying the laptop I plugged it into the desktop (split cable used) and all worked and the headphones worked when plugged into the laptop so the mic should have been working at the time I plugged it in using the four-connector cable.

What I expected from the description of a headset with a four-connector and split cable was the split cable to be a four-connector so I could use the mic on my laptop, headphones to another connection, but seems not.

Basically, I tried both connections, the mic is now useless anyway and I'm not entirely sure what headset/mic would work plugged into my laptop. A four-connector in theory should work according to their own website, but their own failed. Whether it failed completely at that point or just the connection didn't work I suppose I can't be certain, but either way the split cable is a three-connector which certainly isn't compatible with their own devices and the mic cable is the one I need to the laptop.

However, finding four-connector headsets isn't easy and most people aren't likely to say yes, this will work in an asus laptop because...well, it's a bit of a specific thing to state that won't apply to most. So I came here for help finding headsets that should work.

I hope that makes sense.

Forums are for all types of answers. Some times to help people learn, some times to give a straight forward answer.

As for "Nobody is insulting you by saying your budget is ridiculous for what you stated you wanted! "

Do you mean nobody is insulting me as no one is saying that or it's not insulting to say that because you believe it to be true?

You've made a few comments about my budget. You seem to think it's not enough for what I want but you keep over-estimating what I want. My budget isn't ridiculous for what I want and I don't appreciate comments on it.

There is the Samson Go USB Microphone at £30. Should work plugged into my laptop what with being USB. No need for an adapter. Clear sound, excellent reviews. On budget.

As I said before, the SF-920, about £15. Again clear sound, good reviews, below budget.

Then there's the Blue Snowball iCE USB Microphone at around £35. Same as the others with clear sound, good reviews and just on budget.

May not be over £100, they're not even close, especially the SF-920. However, they're decent enough - in fact the Samson one is better than some much higher priced ones based on research. Still, my point is that that's the quality level I'm looking at. The SF-920 maybe feels a little cheap, maybe it won't last years, but the sound it produces is clear enough for what I want.

I am leaning more towards a mic now than headset, but either way the quality of the mic I'm looking at is fine around that level and, as you can see, they are just a few of the options.Obviously a headset with USB doesn't work unless it also has an audio jack for the headphones. As I said earlier, I have bought an adapter now so that should work fine with any audio jacks and work on my laptop.

So when I say decent that's the kind of thing I mean. I think your version of decent and mine varies greatly!