What is a good graphics program for making youtube videos

Status
Not open for further replies.

BronwenP

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011
Hello, I need some help.

I'm wanting to make a youtube video but I can't seem to fine a good enough program which will work with me computer.

My computer is a windows Vista or XP can't say which model at all. If you could suggest a good program that doesn't take up too much space I would be grateful :)

Solution
You're thinking of Windows Vista. It's XP, then Vista, then 7, then 8 (the latter in beta as far as I'm aware). As to your issue, have you considered Virtual Dub? It's freeware and it works well, though it does have some limitations. I've used Virtual Dub for all of my 800+ YouTube videos, even for recording a video explaining how to use Virtual Dub to record screen capture and process the video. It's quite handy on many fronts, despite its weaknesses.

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
You're thinking of Windows Vista. It's XP, then Vista, then 7, then 8 (the latter in beta as far as I'm aware). As to your issue, have you considered Virtual Dub? It's freeware and it works well, though it does have some limitations. I've used Virtual Dub for all of my 800+ YouTube videos, even for recording a video explaining how to use Virtual Dub to record screen capture and process the video. It's quite handy on many fronts, despite its weaknesses.

Solution

BronwenP

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2011

Do you know how much space it takes up on a computer? I am just wondering becasue I have limited space right now on my pc. I will look into getting Virtual Dub for it and you never know it might just work. Thank you

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
The amount of space it takes depends on several factors:

1. Video resolution. Double the pixel count, double the video data rate.
2. Audio resolution. Double the channels, bit depth, or sampling rate, double the audio data rate.
3. Video codec. The higher the quality, the bigger the resulting video's file size will be. The more complex the scene, the greater the video's file size will be. Be sure you use variable bit rates for the maximum quality and smallest file size. Some codecs provide a great quality and good compression while others don't. H.264 is by far the best I've seen. If you want to use it, look for the VFW version. XviD is a good alternative. Virtual Dub is apparently not good for HD video editing (HD as in 1280x720 or higher) with H.264-encoded videos. It is good, however, with XviD-encoded videos.
4. Audio codec. This is the same as the video codec, only for audio.

I work with video editing and Virtual Dub quite regularly, typically about 2 to 5 times a month.

This YouTube video of mine demonstrates how to use Virtual Dub for screen capture and basic video editing. I don't know if it works for fullscreen games though - I don't have any available.

Status
Not open for further replies.