What is most house current efficient way to power computer fans without a computer?

in66732

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011
Hello
I wish to use a silverstonetek AP 182 180 mm variable computer speed fan away from my computer and its desktop power supply to cool my vacuum tube headphone amplifier. This is a fan which comes with a variable speed controller included and requires 0.05A (500rpm) ~1.3A (2000rpm) in amperage or 0.6W (500rpm)~15.6W (2000rpm) in wattage.

I wish to power this fan away from my computer in the most house current efficient way. But what is that. I see there is an inexpensive power supply available @Amazon.com which can supply 6 A at 12 V and there is another which can only supply 4 amps at 12 V will the six amp one be wasting away more power when powering the new fan I am thinking of purchasing. Or would a power supply I know to be a switching power supply with a multi-switchable voltage use less power not wasting away unnecessary power even if it's a higher wattage high amperage capable power supply.

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
All you really need is an AC to DC power adaptor with the proper ratings on the label. As long as you can get an adaptor with at least these ratings you should be good to go.
Rated Voltage
12V DC
Rated Current
0.05A (500rpm) ~1.3A (2000rpm)
Rated Power
0.6W (500rpm)~15.6W (2000rpm)

This is a typical rating tag on your common, ordinary wall adaptor which you may already have lying around in a junk drawer.
voltage_diagram.png

You may have to cut the DC adaptor end off and connect it to the speed control for the fan or have someone make up a nice connector for you, but it will do the trick. BTW, even if the current (Amperage) rating exceeds the required 1.3 or 1.5A, it will not draw more power from the wall than it actually needs.

in66732

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2011

The links you are giving me are failing! Even if they are not that special you thought they were special enough to give them to me so could I have them again please in working order please? And thanks!