What is wrong with my Laptop?? How can I Fix Overheating Issue

FixMyLaptop

Estimable
Jun 7, 2014
Hello, I have a Lenovo y510p sli laptop for 3 weeks now, and from monitoring my cpu and graphics card temperatures via HWMonitor, Cpu reaches a max of 90 degrees celcius and Graphics card reaches 96 degrees max IN ONLY A FEW MINUTES when I am playing certain games. Games such as Bioshock Infinite causes laptop to lag from throttling I think.

I know the Lenovo y510p has overheating problems, from other users, but I was wondering what I can do to help reduce temperatures. I am using a laptop cooler underneath as well. Is this caused by bad heatsink?
I bought this laptop 3 weeks ago

Things I have tried, but temperatures seems to be still too high.:
1. Stop overclocking by changing power management options to max 99%
2. Fps cap and vsync during gaming
3. Msi Afterburner- reducing Clock speed
4. Was going to try undervolting, but RMclock only works for dual core processors?

**Changing the thermal paste would be my last resort as this laptop is very new, and since I have never done it before, I am afraid to mess up my laptop and break warrenty**
Specs:
Intel Core i7-4700MQ 2.4 GHz overclocked to 3.2Ghz
(Manufacturer max temp: 100 degrees C)
: DDR3-RAM PC3-1280
:: Graphics card:
2 x NVIDIA GeForce GT 755M SLI - 2048 MB, Core: 980 MHz,

Any tips and information is appreciated.

Thank you

PsyKhiqZero

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2008
Best you could do is open up the laptop and clean out the fans. It's not enough to blow air through the fins. But as your laptop is so new I doubt this is the problem. Laptops just run hot. often there is nothing you can do about it.