What is wrong with my Laptops GPU?

Geoffrey_3

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
Hello, I bought a high end gaming laptop a month back and my performance has been poor in the last week. I have been playing games like BF4 at ultra settings with V-Sync on at 60FPS, but now with V-Sync on the FPS is at 40-50. At first minecraft ran at a steady 100FPS now at 60FPS. I don't know what is going on and its happening to all my other games too.

Here are my system specs:

GeForce GTX 970M
Intel Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60GHz
8GB RAM
256GB SSD

I also wanted to point out that I noticed when I first got my laptop the fans would roar when playing specific games. But now they don't even need to go on. The laptop is hot but nothing too major. I have done lots of research on how to improve the games performance with the Nvidia graphic control settings but nothing is changing.

Mark_1970

Estimable
Nov 14, 2015

Any software or bios settings made that is controlling that gpu fan and causing it to run slower or not? kinda sounds like if the fan won't run as b4 it won't cool that gpu and it clocks it's settings back to prevent overheat.
Also the pc had only bare min software and you added more running in the background, slowing games

Those gpu fans should roar on all modern games as gpu will heat in all, faulty fan?

Shaun o

Distinguished
Put simply monitor, how hot the gpu is getting while using it for gaming.
All laptops always seem faster when you first get them.

But the sad point is it`s not the laptops fault it`s down to what the user of it does.
As an example all the programs you install once you have the laptop.
Programs that set them self to start up and run after windows has loaded for example, and also run back ground tasks that take a bit more of your cpu utilization.

As much as you talk about your Gpu, the reason why frame rates suffer or drop in games can be due to other things also utilizing the cpu of the system while you are gaming. How much is utilizing the cpu as well as the Gpu can impact on frame rates in games.

Not just because the Gpu may be getting to hot, and or reducing it clock speed in Mhz to cope with high heat build up and dissipation of heat.

So you should check for example how many programs are set to run or launch after windows has loaded and the utilization of your cpu, as well as setting up temperature monitoring of your GPU to see if it is throttling due to excess heat.

It is the other thing that impacts on frame rates in games, and goes without saying since you got the laptop you have probably installed a few bit`s of software of choice yourself on the laptop. Yes?

Click on start, in search type :MSconfig.
Open msconfig.
Click on the start tab, and check for how many programs are loading after windows has loaded utilizing the cpu and system memory.
Untick the ones you wish not to run or launch after windows has loaded.

Click ok, or apply. Restart your system.
Load windows OS again.
Load a game up and see if the frame rate of the game improves.

Geoffrey_3

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015

Geoffrey_3

Estimable
Nov 21, 2015
I agree with you on the fans having to be running in modern games. But I have never used settings to limit when the fans start up or not. That could be what's wrong, I just don't know where to find the setting to see if it is what's wrong. And what exactly did you mean by bare min software?