What power supply should I buy?

gofeka

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
Hello! I have this problem. My laptop cable broke, so I need new one. I tryed searching and I bought one. 135w, 6,75A output. So Amps is maching, but Computer shows, that its wrong cable and doesnt chardge. How much wattage cable do I need? Specs:

Lenovo y50-70, intel core i5, GeForce 960M 2gb, 8gb ram, 1tb memory (no ssd).

Lenovo doesnt make enymore same laptom that I have, so there is no info... Cant find.. I have original cable:
INPUT: 100v-240v 2.5A 50-60hz
Output: 20V 6.75A (doesn't write wattage)
And my new one, witch doesnt work and i dont know what to do:
Input: 100V-240V max 2,6A 50-60hz
Out: 20V 6,75A. 135w

So questions: can i modify my new one or somehow make it chardge and what wattage is accurate to buy new cable... Thanks!

Solution
So Lithium Ion batteries have this habit of exploding when not charged properly. All contemporary lithium charging circuits rely on charging circuits that have quite a bit of sophistication. If a vendor so chooses they can lock down their chip to only accept input from a certified device. So while the voltage is properly supplied it refuses to charge the battery.

Usually just a sign of cheap manufacturing.

Lenovo carries them it seems: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/chargers/Lenovo-135W-AC-AdapterUL-SDC/p/888015027

gofeka

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
So I was right. 135w. I bought one. Monolith Qoltec AC adapter. It says for lenovo. It goes to the charging hole good, but my pc gives lenovo error, says that its not compatible and doesnt chardge. So whats the problem then? I thought, it was wattage wrong. So if its good, why doesnt chardge?

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
So Lithium Ion batteries have this habit of exploding when not charged properly. All contemporary lithium charging circuits rely on charging circuits that have quite a bit of sophistication. If a vendor so chooses they can lock down their chip to only accept input from a certified device. So while the voltage is properly supplied it refuses to charge the battery.

Usually just a sign of cheap manufacturing.

Lenovo carries them it seems: https://www.lenovo.com/us/en/accessories-and-monitors/chargers-and-batteries/chargers/Lenovo-135W-AC-AdapterUL-SDC/p/888015027

Solution

gofeka

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
I removed battery, couse I heard, that if you remove it and put in the cable, and it will charge, so there will be the batterys problem. It is still not charging...

gofeka

Estimable
Apr 7, 2015
Oh ... 100euros for that... Enyone wants to buy my pc? :))) just for 200euros I will sell.. :)))))) Got dmt... And there is no way to by pass it? Ofc there is no... So sad... Ok, thank you for answer....

Eximo

Distinguished
Herald
They have 65W models and a beefier one as well. Yours came with a 135W to run the GPU.

Not to say you can't just buy a used Lenovo supply from the first link I sent or find one on Ebay or something.