Whats the difference between i5 and i7 in terms of cores and Hyperthreading in laptops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt4x4

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
I understand a lot about desktop cpu's, but I just realized that laptops are different

In laptops.....
If i3 is 2 cores with Hyperthreading
and i5 AND i7 are both 2 cores with HT, with some CPU lines going with 4 cores.

I basically have to check out each CPU from Intel's ARK website when I am checking which laptop to buy.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

4 Cores
- Havent checked to see if these are HT or not, but a quick check of i5 and I dont think they have HT. Maybe just the 2 cores have HT. However some i7's in 4 core got HT.

i7 with 4 cores - Basically anything with a Q in it. Like Core i7-6xxx HQ and i7-5xxx HQ,
The MQ lines, XM and QM, QE.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_Core_i7_microprocessors

i5 with 4 cores - EQ HQ in Skylake 63xx and 64xxx

Solution
Intel Laptop processors are very confusing. i3, i5, i7 if the name ends in a U its a low power processor all of them are dual core hyperthreaded, and the i3 i5 and i7 corresponds to the max speed (i3 being under 2 ghz, i5 generally being 2-3ghz, and i7 being 3 and higher ghz). They are otherwise all the same processor.

Now what you want is an HQ processor, these are quad core, hyperthreading, and higher power than the U processor, far closer to a desktop. Then of course the HK is similar but also unlocked - these are kind of like ultra high performance. Both have worse battery life. All i3, i5 and i7 HQ processors have hyperthreading as well. Different models can turbo single or all cores. This is a good reference to all the...

Rogue Leader

Distinguished
Intel Laptop processors are very confusing. i3, i5, i7 if the name ends in a U its a low power processor all of them are dual core hyperthreaded, and the i3 i5 and i7 corresponds to the max speed (i3 being under 2 ghz, i5 generally being 2-3ghz, and i7 being 3 and higher ghz). They are otherwise all the same processor.

Now what you want is an HQ processor, these are quad core, hyperthreading, and higher power than the U processor, far closer to a desktop. Then of course the HK is similar but also unlocked - these are kind of like ultra high performance. Both have worse battery life. All i3, i5 and i7 HQ processors have hyperthreading as well. Different models can turbo single or all cores. This is a good reference to all the processors available:

SKYLAKE

Solution

matt4x4

Estimable
Oct 6, 2014
I shouldnt get too wrapped up in it then, the 4 core variant will be hard to find in a refurbished unit, and when there is one, it will be expensive. Basically, for my needs, they are all 2 cores and HT, with a sprinkling of non HT.

Of note, the prices between i3 and i5 are not that far off. There is more choice in i5.

Question is then, what seperates an i3 from an i5 then, if both are 2 cores with hyper-threading. Lets say you got an i3 and an i5 in equal system, at the same speed, what differentiates the two? Must be just the Turbo Frequency then.

Rogue Leader

Distinguished

It all comes down to clock speed and turbo clock speed. All i3 U processors are below 3ghz even under turbo. Most of the i5's are above 3ghz at least under turbo.

Status
Not open for further replies.