Where to buy at least somewhat legit mobile CPUs

Jan 18, 2019
My friends and I have a need to upgrade our 2010s laptops with some new CPUs -- but all we can find are some alixpress or newegg deals for less than $10, and wholesale nonetheless, for CPUs that have long been discontinued. Ours are not soldered, we know which ones we need, and we're ready to pay, if a bit more than expected... We just don't want to pay for a dead cat in a bag.

With this kind of thing I expect a shop, that specializes in mobile CPUs, if anything, but really, I don't even know. I mean, there IS some legit demand for this stuff...

Solution
If you search eBay for both Core i7-620M & Core i7-640M you will find several units. I would pay with PayPal, just in case.
The best CPU I have seen on the HP Pavilion G6 1258-er is the Core i7-620M and you might not see much difference between those two CPUs, since they both have 2 cores and similar base frequency.
Make sure to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version before removing the i3.
What made a difference in speed was swapping the HDD with a SSD.

rgd1101

Don't
MERGED QUESTION
Question from windflash : "Where to buy mobile CPU"

Jan 18, 2019

We need three i7-640 M for hp pavilions 1258-er. It's all around good, but the i3-370 M there is seriously lame. This model can support that kind of upgrade, as far as I can tell.

Sorry for the fuss, I'm pretty new to the whole 'forum' system..

jojesa

Distinguished
If you search eBay for both Core i7-620M & Core i7-640M you will find several units. I would pay with PayPal, just in case.
The best CPU I have seen on the HP Pavilion G6 1258-er is the Core i7-620M and you might not see much difference between those two CPUs, since they both have 2 cores and similar base frequency.
Make sure to upgrade the BIOS to the latest version before removing the i3.
What made a difference in speed was swapping the HDD with a SSD.

Solution