oliwierek10

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016
Hello I am planing on buying a vr headset and the htc vive and oculus rift touch come in at the same price which should I get? I know the differences between the sensors the fact that the htc vive sensors shoot out lasers and the oculus rift scans for ir light which is better? I am planing on playing room scale games like job simulator or tilt brush. will the oculus cause any problems here? or are they equally good? I know that I would need to get a third sensor for the oculus rift but Im fine with that. I do rather the oculus touch controllers they seem like many of the htc vive games would be compatible with them, Iv seen videos on people playing htc vive games with them is this the case? The question is which one will last longer as in the oculus touch is very new is that good or bad? and will the companies move on and create a new vr headset and disable compatibility for the current one or will they (idealy) keep creating new accessories for the one they have now? like wireless sensors for the oculus rift or different types of controllers etc.
Thank you very much,
Oliwier

Solution
If you have a lot of room for VR, the Vive system is a little easier to set up and less likely to run into issues. But otherwise the Rift is capable of all the same things, you can run all the same games and other software etc.

The Rift controllers are a little more advanced, the headset is a little lighter and more comfortable, and the Rift supports ASW which means you can do VR with a cheaper/weaker PC.

In the near future, wireless upgrade kits are among the first things to come. The first wireless kit for the Vive is already available in China and should launch worldwide in Q2 this year. Similar kits are on the way for the Rift, but it may take a while longer to reach market. There are also new controllers in development for the...

Sakkura

Distinguished
If you have a lot of room for VR, the Vive system is a little easier to set up and less likely to run into issues. But otherwise the Rift is capable of all the same things, you can run all the same games and other software etc.

The Rift controllers are a little more advanced, the headset is a little lighter and more comfortable, and the Rift supports ASW which means you can do VR with a cheaper/weaker PC.

In the near future, wireless upgrade kits are among the first things to come. The first wireless kit for the Vive is already available in China and should launch worldwide in Q2 this year. Similar kits are on the way for the Rift, but it may take a while longer to reach market. There are also new controllers in development for the Vive, to match the advances of the Oculus Touch controllers (and likely go a couple steps beyond), but there's no launch date for that.

Next-gen headsets are probably still over 1 year away. I doubt they'll completely break compatibility entirely; most likely games will want to support as many headsets as possible for a while, to sell as much as possible. I don't think there's any way to know which headset will last longer.

Solution

oliwierek10

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Thank you very much for your answer I just hve one more question do you think that the oculus will have any problems with room scale games once I buy a third sensor? Is it worse than the vives room scale? I do not have too much room but I am planing on playing room scale steam vr games even if do you think that it will be fixed in the future by oculus creating wireless sensors?
Again thank you very much,
Oliwier

Sakkura

Distinguished
There are some bugs in the software right now, giving some people issues with 3 or 4 sensor setups. Along with it being picky about USB ports.

When it works it's just as good as the Vive, but buying a 3rd sensor costs a little extra and you do have some more cables to deal with.

I don't think Oculus will be making the sensors wireless soon; wireless makes a much bigger difference on the headset itself, allowing you to move around freely.

oliwierek10

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Thank you very much for your help,
Oliwier

oliwierek10

Estimable
Jan 13, 2016

Again thank you for all your help. I am leaning towards the oculus rift because I feel like they will improve their tracking capabilities and enable full roomscale vr what do you think? Now I am left with one question which is better in the long run? as in which one is going to release new trackers, controllers etc for their current headset upgrading it for at least a year and which one will just stop the production and disable compatibility. I feel like they both should stop releasing headsets and work on the accessories. Which one do you think will do this?
Thank you again,
Oliwier

Sakkura

Distinguished
Well, Oculus just released their motion controllers 2 months ago, and in-ear headphones for those who prefer that. HTC released an improved headstrap with on-ear headphones to mimic the strap and headphones that come standard with the Rift. Valve (HTC's partner) are developing controllers that look somewhat similar to the Oculus Touch controllers, but maybe one step more advanced.

So I dunno, they both seem to have been pretty good about releasing upgrades and accessories so far. It's hard to say how it will go in the future, but I think you can count on good support for at least a year (it could very well take more than a year before either of them even release a next-gen headset).