Why can't i play .MOD files on my Windows 8 computer?

Matty172

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015
i record with a jvc everio camera and that is the saved file... i tried video converters but those just make the video quality terrible. Is there a different way so i can play the .MOD files with the same quality that it was recorded on?

Solution
Try downloading a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDirector and see if that helps. I am reasonable sure that is the software that came with that camcorder. With a trial version you could at least try it to see if it properly converts the clips to something you can edit and play.

BuddhaSkoota

Estimable
Aug 16, 2014

Have you tried VLC?

Those .MOD files can be a pain to work with and convert properly. I used to have one for use in the classroom and the easiest, though not the fastest, way to convert the files was to use the software that came bundled with the camera. If I am not mistaken I believe it was PowerDirector. There was some program included that would transfer and convert the video from the HDD of the camcorder. Have you tried changing the extension to something like .AVI or .MPG or .MP4 or some other extension? What is the model number of the camcorder?

Matty172

Estimable
Feb 21, 2015

I have lost the cd software that came with it :( and i have also tried to change the extension to many different extensions but it still wouldnt work :(

Try downloading a trial version of Cyberlink PowerDirector and see if that helps. I am reasonable sure that is the software that came with that camcorder. With a trial version you could at least try it to see if it properly converts the clips to something you can edit and play.

Solution

Mitchell Robinson

Honorable
Sep 18, 2013
If I may add a second solution to kenrivers solution.

Try downloading the k-light codec pack from THIS website. Basically its an installer that adds a whole bunch of video/photo/audio codecs to your computer so that the software can properly decode and play some of these weird file types.

I have no idea if it will work for the .MOD's but its free so its worth trying anyway.

Goodluck!

- Mitch