Why is Outlook 2007 running out of memory?

roamdog

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2004
Why is Outlook 2007 running out of memory?
I am using a Thinkpad T60P laptop with 2GB of memory and 120GB harddrive. (Harddrive has about 60GB free). I am running WinXP with SP3.
Whenever I attempt to start Outlook I get an error message that pops up that tells me that I am "...out of memory or system resources". I cannot expand my folders, I cannot move folders. I basically cannot do anything or I get an out of memory error.
Outlook is the only application listed as running on the Application tab in the Task Manager.
I have two .pst files: one is 1,009K and the other is 324,937K which are obviously small-ish .pst files.
(I am running 3 .pst files on my desktop (that only has 512MB of memory) that are all larger than 1,000,000K and I get no problems at all--although I am using Outlook 2003 on the desktop).
I have run an AV scan and have no virus. I have also run Ad-Aware, Spybot, and MalWareByte's Anti-Malware and have no mal-ware.
Is there a setting in Outlook that I have somehow overlooked? I am running the Business Contact Manager in Outlook but this system should have more than enough memory to handle Outlook running by itself?
What am I missing. Please help me as I am aggravated byond belief at this point.

apscolari

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
I have exactly the same problem. I'm running a powerful workstation notebook, 4gb RAM, XP SP2. It is just a matter of opening outlook for a few hours and it brings my machine down. i have several small PSTs, none of them bigger than 600MB. it is a shame, outlook 2007 is a disaster, in fact the whole office 2007 it is a disaster regarding performance and memory. I think there is a huge memory leak somewhere in their code and it does not look like Microsoft is concerned to fix this... i wish i could move to Apple, because MS sucks....

regards,
Ana