Widevine Content Decryption Module not updating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braxton_1

Commendable
Apr 28, 2016
I've recently re downloaded google chrome and the Widevine Content Decryption Module will not update and as a result Netflix will not work. I've gone to chrome://components/ where I tried to click the "Check for update" button, it loaded for a bit and then says "Status - Component not updated." I check under chrome://plugins/ to see if I needed to enable the plugin, however, after the re-install it is not present under plug ins at all. I then deleted the Widevine folder from users/appdata/google etc. After deleting I uninstalled chrome and reinstalled (i've done this multiple times now). I've done everything google says to do, everything NetFlix says to do and I've read multiple blog posts with similar issues and all to no avail. If anyone has any idea what is going on and how to fix it that would be much appreciated!

Solution
C:\Users\User Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM <--- change the owner of the folder in security tab
then go back to google chrome chrome://components and update Widevine. Change the permissions for all the rest of the folders to fix any other update issues

mrshll

Commendable
Apr 29, 2016

I just had the same issue and went through all the steps you did to no avail. Simply restarted and all is well. Always the last place you look ;)

SpiroPuds

Commendable
Aug 7, 2016

Hey, I don't know if this would be any help, but have you tried installing your device's recent updates? I know a lot of us like to put that off, but I finally let it update and after restarting, my Netflix is back to normal.

Paul_192

Commendable
Sep 9, 2016
C:\Users\User Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\WidevineCDM <--- change the owner of the folder in security tab
then go back to google chrome chrome://components and update Widevine. Change the permissions for all the rest of the folders to fix any other update issues

Reactions: tylor85
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.