Luca080

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016
So, my original post received some great suggestions. I bought this wifi adapter, and it seemed to work great!

However, it only works great in my living room most of the time, which is where the router is. I mostly need to use my laptop in my bedroom, so this is a big problem. I dealt with my internet being terrible for months before this adapter, and now I still can't use it.

Basically, what it does is it will work somewhat in one tab, but if I open more than one, barely anything will work. The one tab I can have open is slow itself and barely works.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Solution
The apps in question are called WiFi Analyzer. There's a bunch of em, try out a few and see which one you like. They all do about the same thing.

As to why you want your router in the center of your house is because you can more easily cover the entirety of the house. If its in the corner then the far opposite corner of the house will have the worst reception. Also your neighbor's backyard might have the best reception compared to the rest of the house depending on router placement. No need for unnecessary signal overlapping if it can be avoided.
WiFi performance depends on three main factors:
- Antenaes at both ends (router and your miniscule receiver)
- Distance traveled and obstacles
- Other equipment operating at the same band (other WiFi networks, microwave ovens etc)

So, you might have one or more problems:
- your room is too far, or there are many obstacles (walls, furniture) in the path
- your router' WiFi performance is not that great, or that WiFi adapter' performance is not that great;
- you have too many WiFi networks operating on the same channel

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
If you want to determine if you have interference from other devices there are apps on Android that can scan for wifi networks and give you a graph of their intensities as well as what channel they operate on. Walk around your house with the app running and see which areas are affected and possibly move your router to better cover the house. Perhaps towards the center of the house as opposed to somewhere in the back corner.

Luca080

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

I will look up apps for that now, but do you have any idea what some of them are called, just so I know exactly what you're talking about! Thank you for the help!

Luca080

Commendable
Dec 22, 2016

Hey, I recognize you from my other question. Thank you for helping me out twice.
I never thought about that. Do you have any suggestions on how to get it up "higher" at all?

It's funny, all of these responses I'm getting state not to have it in the corner of the house or surrounded by other objects (esp. electronics), yet that is exactly where mine is.
I live with my dad and he is not keen on moving the router since our cable is short. We'll just have to get a longer one and try to get it away from those things.

However, I have another question. I'm sorry for asking for more help. Anyway, my school/work laptop still has a great, working internal WiFi card. I'm assuming that the school/work laptop is able to work in my room unlike my regular laptop that uses the external WiFi adapter because the internal one is much stronger, while the external adapter is not as powerful. Does that seem to be the case?

offroadguy56

Honorable
Apr 3, 2013
The apps in question are called WiFi Analyzer. There's a bunch of em, try out a few and see which one you like. They all do about the same thing.

As to why you want your router in the center of your house is because you can more easily cover the entirety of the house. If its in the corner then the far opposite corner of the house will have the worst reception. Also your neighbor's backyard might have the best reception compared to the rest of the house depending on router placement. No need for unnecessary signal overlapping if it can be avoided.

Solution