Will DVR HDMI port pass ethernet through to TV?

Sitaifun1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017
I have an AT&T (Motorola) VIP1216 DVR and a Samsung UN65KS9000F TV. The DRV is still connected to an old tube TV, but when I switch to the smart TV, will the DVR HDMI output port also supply the ethernet signal to the TV via the One Connect HDMI input port, or will I need to run a separate ethernet cable to the ethernet port on the back of the TV?

Solution
Your DVR is not providing ethernet through HDMI, neither does the TV support it, so you will have to connect the ethernet cable + the One Connect cable (or HDMI cable) to the TV
It's not a silly question because HDMI cables do contain ethernet wires to minimize the number or ports needed to connect multiple av devices to the network..
If either the TV or the DVR has an ethernet connection the HDMI cable may extend that to the other device but no way to be sure unless you try it.

Sitaifun1

Prominent
Jul 11, 2017

Thanks; I suspected that would be the case, but since HDMI cables boast ethernet capability I thought it just might be commonly implemented by now. I guess it's a feature in the standard, but not really utilized much in practice yet.