fARQUAD_

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
I currently have a YouTube channel which I upload to 3 times a week. I have recently switched to Sony Vegas Pro 13, from Movie Maker, and I've suddenly noticed how long it takes to render. Rendering 1080p, 60fps, at 26000 kbps bitrate it takes about 4 minutes per minute of footage. Sometimes my videos get to an hour long and it takes way too long to render.

My current PC is an I3 4160, with an Asus H81m Plus motherboard, an 8gb stick of XMS3 1600mhz RAM and a Zotac 750.

I'm considering getting rid of the one stick and buying 2x8gb sticks. Will this have an impact on how long it takes to render my videos? Are there any other tips that will improve the speeds, without reducing resolution. I may even switch back to Movie Maker for long videos. A CPU upgrade isn't really on the cards as the moment, but any advice for one would be appreciated.

If you read all of that I thank you XD Any help on this topic will be greatly appreciated!

Solution
The GPU won't help with rendering as much as the CPU. The benefit of GPU acceleration comes in when you rendering effects such as transitions and other effects. If you don't have a lot of these then the GPU won't be as beneficial as the CPU which handles most of the rendering tasks. With my setup I use three drives, though you could by with two, with the main drive having the editing program, a second drive for the source files and the third drive is where I store the rendered (final) files. This reduces the amount of writing to one drive. Personally, for editing, I would invest in a CPU and in the future more RAM. Though I don't game I do see the importance of a good GPU for gaming.

fARQUAD_

Commendable
Mar 17, 2016
Alright, thanks for the help, I will try and answer your question, kenrivers.

I currently have one 1tb hdd (Toshiba DT01ACA100), so yes, I am saving the rendered file to the same hdd as the source files. Sony Vegas is actually only using 11-12% of my ram, so that is not the problem, as my CPU is almost always at about 90%.
I have a few options:

Buy a new CPU for about £180(like a 4690k or 6500)
Buy a new GPU as my 750 is not supported (get something like a 670-680 for about £50-80), so I can use GPU acceleration.
Buy an SSD for £60 and save Sony Vegas and my source files on there (though task manager only says SV is using about 20% of my disk)

Think I'm gonna go with the gpu as its the cheapest, and I play quite a bit of games anyway. if you have any better suggestions, please list them below.

The GPU won't help with rendering as much as the CPU. The benefit of GPU acceleration comes in when you rendering effects such as transitions and other effects. If you don't have a lot of these then the GPU won't be as beneficial as the CPU which handles most of the rendering tasks. With my setup I use three drives, though you could by with two, with the main drive having the editing program, a second drive for the source files and the third drive is where I store the rendered (final) files. This reduces the amount of writing to one drive. Personally, for editing, I would invest in a CPU and in the future more RAM. Though I don't game I do see the importance of a good GPU for gaming.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS