Windows 7 running somewhat slow, mostly in browser, with audio and video latency as well as two other issues.

VixVates

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014
I've currently been having issues with a newly built computer, it's my first build. Main issues have been:
1. Windows has been booting somewhat slowly, I have a SSD as my boot drive, and running somewhat slow as well.
2. Video and audio have latency and distortion, some skipping of audio, mostly in browser.

3. Also, in browser when I right click it will freeze for about 10 seconds, if I try to right click immediately after the first right click it will cause the browser to not respond and sometimes crash. i have tried testing this in IE, FireFox and Chrome, same results.

4. When I run a benchmark test on my SSD the readings are:
485 out of up to 540MB/s in Sequential Read results.
392 out of up to 410 MB/s in Sequential Write results.
4182 out of up to 94000 IOPS in Random Read results.
3293 out of up to 35000 IOPS in Random Write results.

I ran a performance optimization through Samsung Magician and there was minimal change. the Sequential Read results went up to 492 and the Sequential Write results went up to 406 but the Random Read results lowered to 4179 and Random Write lowered to 3252.

The rating assessment through Windows states my hard drive is at a 6.9 rating.

I thought it could be my RAM but I did a MEMTEST and ran it for 7 hours til it did all tests my RAM passed all tests with 0 errors.

I also uninstalled and reinstalled the CPU, plus adding a little bit of more thermal paste and same issues occur. Those are the main issues I have been seeing. There has been some latency in gameplay as well, I saw issues in The Witcher Enhanced Edition with some lag.

Here are my systems components:
Main boot drive: 840 EVO Samsung SSD; 120 GB.
Storage drive: 160GB Western Digital HDD
CD-ROM Drive: Sony Optiarc High Speed SATA DVD RW Burner Drive
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z68XP-UD3P LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 760 4GB 256-Bit GDDR5
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K Ivy Bridge Quad-Core 3.5GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 1155
CPU Cooler: Thermaltake CLP0556 92mm 1 x Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
PSU: Antec HCG M HCG-750M 750W ATX12V SLI CrossFire 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Network Card: ASUS PCE-N15 PCI Express 300/300Mbps

Another issue is my drives having major space used when nothing large is installed to those drives after just installing the OS and a few drivers and an anti-virus program. I currently have 117 GB's used out of my 160GB HDD and only having 3.14-4.40 GB's free on my SSD. I have Windows 7 set to show hidden files and folders but there is nothing showing what is taking up that noted space.

Any help or suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006
You propably have hibernation enabled which eats 32gb from your ssd. To turn off hibernate open elevated command prompt and type 'powercfg -h off'. There must be something on that hdd though to eat that space, by default Windows reserves some space for system restore etc but it shouldn't be that much. Low available disk space on your main drive might cause the computer running a bit slow.

VixVates

Estimable
Aug 30, 2014

I tried to disable hibernate in command prompt and it stated 'The system could not create the hibernation file.'

Samat

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2006

Strange, it shouldn't try to create the file when you are trying to turn off the hibernation. You can check if there is a file called 'hiberfil.sys' on your c:. You need to have it show hidden system files. You could also run Disk Clean-Up to see if that can free up some of the space. Prss windows key + R to open the prompt for run and type in 'cleanmgr.exe' and press enter to start the program. Select the drive and it will scan for any files that are safe to delete.