Windows does not recognize soundbar when using certain monitor

Aug 22, 2018
When I connect my Laptop (HDMI out) to the soundbar (HDMI in) and then connect the soundbar (HDMI out) to the monitor (DVI-in) (obviously using a HDMI to DVI cable), Windows recognize the monitor but does not recognize the soundbar. If I do the same thing using my TV (HDMI in) instead of monitor (DVI-in), Windows recognize both TV and soundbar just fine.

Why does not WIndows recognize the soundbar when I'm using this monitor?

Is there a way to have this system working considering I want 5.1 audio from laptop and use this specific monitor?

Monitor: AOC M2470SWD
TV: Samsung UN50MU6100
Soundbar: JBL Bar 5.1
Laptop: Dell Inspiron 5557

Solution
It's possible that your soundbar detects that it can't forward any audio via HDMI output port and tells your laptop to stop sending any audio.

Though, possible workaround is when you use analog audio with your monitor. With it, you'll need to connect the 3.5mm audio cable from your laptop headphones port to the AUX IN port in your soundbar.
Just speculation, but sounds like Windows is detecting the final output is DVI, which cannot take Audio. Not sure why that would happen though, as the output is HDMI.... which should take audio to the soundbar.

Not a "fix", but you should be able to take an analog signal (headphone out) to the Aux input on the soundbar, if you need laptop sound out of the soundbar........or bluetooth?

Aug 22, 2018
Thanks Barty

I forgot to mention I wish to get 5.1 audio from laptop so both aux and blutooth are no solution as these inputs don't support 5.1

I wonder if a HDMI-DVI adapter plugged to a HDMI-HDMI cable would solve it instead of HDMI-DVI cable?

Aeacus

Estimable
Herald
Mar 21, 2015
Answered Barty1884's call and here i am.

The solution is actually very simple. DVI can't carry any audio signals in it, only display signals. Same is with VGA, only display. For audio and display at the same time, you want to use HDMI, Display Port or Thunderbolt connectors.

Aug 22, 2018
Hi Aeacus

The connection from Laptop to the soundbar is HDMI, I'm doing as you say, so shouldn't audio/display signals be carried to the soundbar successfully and then only display signal carried from the soundbar to the monitor?

My monitor does not have HDMI input but I figured I wouldn't need it as I don't need audio being carried to the monitor, just to the soundbar, that's why I'm connecting the laptop to the soundbar first via HDMI as below.

Laptop >>>HDMI-HDMI cable>>> Soundbar >>>HDMI-DVI cable>>> Monitor

Shouldn't it work?

Aeacus

Estimable
Herald
Mar 21, 2015
It's possible that your soundbar detects that it can't forward any audio via HDMI output port and tells your laptop to stop sending any audio.

Though, possible workaround is when you use analog audio with your monitor. With it, you'll need to connect the 3.5mm audio cable from your laptop headphones port to the AUX IN port in your soundbar.

Solution