Mar 29, 2018
Hi,
My laptop froze yesterday and when i restarted it i got the blue screen that says windows needs to be repaired (i think the error code was 0xc000000f or something like that. I have a recovery usb but when i tried the "refresh your pc option" it says the driver where windows is installed is locked. Through using diskpart i found out that the partition where i have my windows (my only partition) has become raw. I dont want to install windows from the beginning cos all my files are on there. Can anybody help me please?

Solution
when a system bugchecks with open files the system might be marked raw until chksdk has been run.
So, boot off of a windows image get to a command prompt (admin) and run
chkdsk c: /f

this should repair the filesystem and will change the file type from RAW to NTFS so the windows files can be loaded

note: sometimes if you have the intel storage driver, it will change the drive letter assignments
which adds another problem where the drive letters get reassigned and c: drive might be listed as the D: drive

johnbl

Honorable
Nov 4, 2012
when a system bugchecks with open files the system might be marked raw until chksdk has been run.
So, boot off of a windows image get to a command prompt (admin) and run
chkdsk c: /f

this should repair the filesystem and will change the file type from RAW to NTFS so the windows files can be loaded

note: sometimes if you have the intel storage driver, it will change the drive letter assignments
which adds another problem where the drive letters get reassigned and c: drive might be listed as the D: drive

Solution

S Haran

Honorable
Jul 12, 2013
Running chkdsk on a failing drive is asking for trouble. It is best to first check the SMART status of the drive with a tool like CrystalDiskInfo.

If your data has high value seek help from a pro. Or at a minimum try to make a clone image of the drive and do your data recovery work from the image.

You might scan the drive with Testdisk from CGSecurity it is a popular free tool for filesystem recovery.