Woman Sues Google for Bad Directions, Accident

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

It is a "loser pays" system if your attorney is decent. There are laws against frivolous lawsuits.

The MacDonalds lady was scalded with coffee that was hot enough to cause third degree skin burns. Today, when you get a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you know it will not cause severe burns and scars. You owe that lady a debt a gratitude.

Every time you open a bottled drink, you owe some kid who got his eye blown out at the turn of the century a debt of gratitude that there are minimum bottle thickness requirements.

Good lawyers do a lot for society. Its just the bad ones, like this moron who sued Google at his client's direction, that make press.

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Remember the movie idiocracy?

America is well on it's way to becoming retarded

We need to make laws which punish stupidity
With enough laws to make the really stupid for mo reason hard to survive, we will eventually purge the stupid from the world and we will no longer have to deal with this
http://imgur.com/alTu3

Hopefully she uses google maps to get to the court room :)

Or better yet, just call her and tell her that the court rooms no longer exist, she would probably believe it and not do anything to further embarrass herself.

This country cant move forward unless we banish the people who choose to wallow in their disgusting stupidity.

poseidon2112

Distinguished
Mar 21, 2009
Causing mental injuries? I doubt that. Apparently she already had mental injuries severe enough to walk down the middle of a highway...

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
[citation][nom]think for yourself[/nom]It is a "loser pays" system if your attorney is decent. There are laws against frivolous lawsuits.The MacDonalds lady was scalded with coffee that was hot enough to cause third degree skin burns. Today, when you get a cup of coffee at Starbucks, you know it will not cause severe burns and scars. You owe that lady a debt a gratitude.[/citation]
Are you stupid? My coffee I get from Starbucks/McDonalds is still hot enough to burn a person pretty badly.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Why did she choose to walk down the middle of the highway? She apparently didn't walk down the middle of any of the other roads she was suggested to walk on or she would have been hit sooner.

She purposely chose to walk down the middle of the highway. She saw it as an opportunity to sue and chose to accept the opportunity. Check her financial background to see what bills she is behind on.

turbolover22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
She had one of two purposes in mind when walking down the middle of the highway.

1) Commit suicide.
2) If unfortunate enough to be unsuccessful in purpose #1 then sue and get a bunch of money from someone. Someone will be found guilty and forced to pay her a nice sum of money.

mightysanta

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
This deserves honorary mention in the Darwin Awards...

I hope the driver sues her for jaywalking on a highway! Oh, and the lawyers license should be permanently removed as well.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]metalpinhead[/nom]djtronika is right, this country (and yes I am a citizen) has abolished any relation to "common sense" when it comes to the law. Why you ask? Because lawmakers cannot quantify what "common sense" is. So, you could potentially sue your left foot because it caused you to stumble. Even though "you" as a person should have the "common sense" to move said left foot appropriately. Also, don't blame the lawyers, they just know how to work the screwed up system that is already in place. Hot coffee anyone?[/citation]
Everyone brings up the mcdonalds hot cofee incident. You all release she lost on appeal right? She never recieved a dime.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
[citation][nom]blurr91[/nom]A lady sued McDonald's for spilling hot coffee on herself...and won, in Arizona!This being California, it does not bode well for a large company like Google.[/citation]

She lost on appeal. She got no money.

t2couger

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2006
[citation][nom]buddhav1[/nom]do people get stupider every day?[/citation]
yes the laws of natural selection no longer apply to humans.

blueomni

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
In my country (Portugal) there are signs prohibiting people from walking on highways. Don't those exist also in the US?

If so, and considering that google maps is not a safety critical application, where in the hell is the lawyer going to build a case??
It doesn't even matter if Google Maps is beta or not! It just isn't critical software in any way!!

PS: I feel bad for those people telling US is a country of dumb people. All countries have those, not only US...

brando56894

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2009
I read this earlier and thought that she has to be an idiot to walk into the middle of a freeway, I hope they laugh in the face of her lawsuit.

orionantares

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2010
[citation][nom]blueomni[/nom]In my country (Portugal) there are signs prohibiting people from walking on highways. Don't those exist also in the US?[/citation]

The only signs forbidding pedestrians are on Freeways, you can walk along side any other road as long as their is space at the edge of it. That doesn't mean you can walk down the middle of the road and expect someone to notice you while they are going highway speeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.