Workaround For Onkyo Pass Through Problem?

Bob825

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
Hello,

I have what may be a common problem with the pass through switching function not working on an Onkyo receiver. I want to try a workaround. Suppose I buy a powered HDMI splitter such as:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=101&cp_id=10113&cs_id=1011306&p_id=8204&seq=1&format=4#feedback

and use it to split the single HDMI output signal coming from a Charter cable box. The two output HDMI cables past the splitter go either to the Onkyo receiver or directly to the 3D-HDTV. Of course another HDMI cable goes from the receiver to a different HDMI input on the TV. One can select the HDMI input on the TV. For routine cable TV viewing where good audio isn't necessary I select direct input from the cable box and use the TV speakers. When I want the better audio I turn on the Onkyo receiver and select a different TV input.

Will this work as a workaround for the Onkyo pass through switching problem? What about the HDCP protection issue?

Bob825

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

there is no need to bump your post after not even an hour. remember, we do this on our free time for enjoyment not as a paid job so it may take some time to get an answer.

if the onkyo unit is within warranty the best option would be to have them fix the problem.

are the only devices in question the cable box, onkyo receiver and tv?

what outputs are on the tv (ie, do you have spdif optical out for audio)
what inputs are on the onkyo (ie, do you have spdif input)

if you have spdif on both you could run hdmi to the tv then spdif to the onkyo.
if you have spdif only on the onkyo you could have a box splitting off sound to spdif and the video passthrough via hdmi to the tv.

i'm not sure how hdcp works into the equation.

of course there are other options available such as using component video/audio but since you are using hdmi this is likely not what you want.

again, the first thing to do would be to question onkyo about the issue instead of a workaround approach.

Bob825

Distinguished
May 19, 2010
I felt the need to edit the last/this post too. I hope it does not result in a separate post again.

-----------------
When the receiver was still being sold by Amazon one could read reviews in which many people complained not only about this or a very similar problem but that getting it fixed by Onkyo was a hassle.

Do you think the HDMI splitter/workaround idea I outlined would work in the first place, because I think it would be the easiest fix if so? I am very down on the idea of having to ship the receiver and wait for it to be fixed by them whether it is under warranty still or not. Warranty repair to the best of my knowledge does not cover shipping in any case.

technically a hdmi splitter should duplicate the signal to both cables. you may have some new problems though. perhaps with autodetect or surround sound.

i wouldnt want to vouch for whether it will work or not. i'd give it a hit or miss probability since i havent hooked everything up like that myself. on paper it works but in practice often things are different.

shipping can vary. some cover return shipping only, some do not cover shipping at all. in rare cases some cover both way shipping.

if you have the ports for spdif this could be the easy way out.

Bob825

Distinguished
May 19, 2010

Well, it's under $30 and I don't think it could hurt to try it, or could it? Reviews of the referenced splitter at Monoprice seem to be mostly positive although I didn't see any addressing exactly my system or setup issue.

BTW, the cable box signal HDMI pass through just started working again for absolutely no reason I understand. Apparently some switching circuit in the Onkyo is the problem, or so I have read somewhere.

Thanks again for your replies.

Aug 4, 2018
I am unclear what Bob's Pass Through problem was, exactly? Does it not pass the audio/video to the TV or shut off unexpectedly between uses? I have experienced a problem with my Onkyo receiver (TX-NR626) where the Pass Through is set, the light is on and I can still get the cable tv signal from the receiver over to the Samsung UHDTV. Both units support ARC and the connection is made by HDMI to the ARC port on the tv. Recently, however, when I shut the tv off the Pass Through light will be on but then later go off requiring I turn the receiver on to get the signal to the tv. I had just made adjustments to start using the audio from streaming sources so HDMI CEC was enabled on the receiver and audio out was set to PCM on the tv. Thanks for any thoughts.