YAHOO EMAIL HACKED through Dropbox hoax email

samsantos7

Commendable
May 13, 2016
Hi! earlier i received an email informing someone shared a file with me on dropbox. I opened it and it asked for my email and pw. I really thought this was normal since I wasn't logged into my dropbox account. anyway, I asked for a phone number and alternate email so I gave an old unused landline and a made up email.

I wasn't able to access the "file" and I thought maybe it's because my dropbox is already full, so I just brushed it aside and said i'd revisit the task later.

my dad calls up a few hours after and he asks if i sent him a dropbox link. I said I didn't and immediately I knew I've been hacked.

I can no longer access my yahoo account through my password. I can't use an alternative email or phone number since I gave a different email. BUT i still have notifications coming in from the desktop site. I just want to know if i can still access even a limited part of the account so I can wipe the contact details I have on there? I don't want them to be harassing any of my other contacts.

Hoping for a favorable response from anyone. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Not that I know of, haven't used yahoo in a long time, but that would represent a flaw in their security logic IMO. I believe they asked for your alt info so they could hijack that one too as well as preventing you from getting this one back.

samsantos7

Commendable
May 13, 2016
thanks for your reply! I just messaged the email address you sent me. if I don't get a response, I might try calling as well.

Is that possible though? for them to change my alternative email when no notification came into the real alt email?

popatim

Splendid
Not that I know of, haven't used yahoo in a long time, but that would represent a flaw in their security logic IMO. I believe they asked for your alt info so they could hijack that one too as well as preventing you from getting this one back.

Solution